Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heat batteries

Jameskennymatheson

Feb 18, 2021
Heat a battery Sustainable energy
Hi

I am trying to find a thermal fuse with a 40c(or35c) open and 50c(or55c)close I can put on a lithium ion battery to keep the battery at that temperature range

It is for a sustainable heating project

Please tell me your thoughts if that's possible

I've read lithium ion batteries are recommended to be less then 55c when charging

Thanks for letting me ask

This project will help tremendously if it works

I understand it is not recommended and will not in anyway blame you if there are any problems that happen

Thanks for letting me ask

<SNIP>

The use of a lithium-ion battery is possible in a temperature range of 10°C to +55°C. However, the charging should take place only at a battery temperature of +5°C to +45°C. The deal temperature range of the batteries is room temperature

Mederators note : removed email to avoid spam and privacy

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Google 'resettable thermal cutouts'. Do you also have a suitable battery management system to prevent over charging and discharging of the battery? That is important, as lithium batteries can catch fire or explode if not treated properly.

Jameskennymatheson

Feb 18, 2021
That's why there is a thermal fuse
So it doesn't explode
So far everyone told me it will work and I should make it myself
I.dont have fuses and I need.help finding a 35c open and 55c close fuse or 35c open and 50c close
If you can help me locate the thermal fuses

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
That's why there is a thermal fuse
So it doesn't explode
So far everyone told me it will work and I should make it myself
I.dont have fuses and I need.help finding a 35c open and 55c close fuse or 35c open and 50c close
If you can help me locate the thermal fuses

Forget it.
You have you sensing A-up.
The BMS units sense voltage /current levels and take appropriate action long before any thermal device would activate.
That's why it's called a BMS.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A Lithium battery is sealed and over-charging or over-discharging it is dangerous because the heat produced causes pressure to build up inside it. Then Ka-BOOM!!
Why don't you use the battery or its charger to power a heater instead??