Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heating Element?

i102bspeedy

Oct 9, 2012
Hi EP Community,

I would appreciate some help on a project that I am working on.

My current setup is two AA batteries running in series. These batteries are connected to two copper wires. At the end of the copper wires I have stainless steel wire mesh (.006' strands).
The problem is that the copper/steel wire mesh gets too hot. One AA Battery is not hot enough.

Is it possible to use a potetiometer to slightly reduce the power going to the wire mesh? If so, what kind or how would I calculate it?

(Duracell Rechargeable 1700 mAh batteries)

Thanks in advance for help.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I think you would be far better off using (PWM) Pulse Width Modulation..

Chris

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I agree. a pot is just a resistor as is your heating element in reality. so rather than having heat from your element it will come through the pot making it hot to touch.
pwm will adjust the current by sending it in pulses. by sending it in pulses you can go from 100% current down to 1% (even more if you wish). this will allow you to limit temperature. there are devices for drills and motors that use pwm to control their speed, a little luck and you will find one for your heating element. if you want to get real fancy put a temperature sensor and micro controller on it and have it cut out completely when it reaches your ideal temp

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You both realize that what he is trying to do is vaporize the THC in some weed, right? My last response on this thread was deleted and this one probably will be as well.

Bob

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Maybe Donkey. As for me? Nope not a clue! Should I have?

Chris

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I see no mention of the illicit use of this.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You both realize that what he is trying to do is vaporize the THC in some weed, right? My last response on this thread was deleted and this one probably will be as well.

Bob

There's no deletions showing up in this thread Bob.
any deletions would show up for any moderator viewing a thread, regardless of which one did the deletion :)

cheers
Dave

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hi davenn,

It is possible I never managed to make my post. Since I thought I had, and I had mentioned vaporizer, I thought it might have been deleted based on that word. We will see if this one also gets deleted.

Well, I guess not.

The reason I think this is what the OP is after, is becuase there was another thread on this a while back and I did some research. People do use batteries and a wire mesh exactly that purpose. You place a little weed in it, heat it to just the right temp and breath in the vaporized THC without the undesired smoke.

Bob

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No magic like that Bob. The worst that can happen is this:

**** **** ****ety ****

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
No magic like that Bob. The worst that can happen is this:

**** **** ****ety ****

Talk about slow! I stared at this for five minutes. Finally got it!

Chris

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Good to know. I know of other forums where certain keywords will cause a silent deletion.

Bob

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I can see no other purpose for this at this time except what bobk has mentioned, however I must point out a few things.
even though I am dead against the taking of drugs, there are countries where it is allowed so this could be for a legitimate reason in their country.
although the MAIN use seems to be for illicit drugs there could be others(would love to know if there is another use)
and the electronics side of this is what interests me,

I agree with bob that we shouldn't help with items for drug use but having said that, we cannot 100% guarantee this is for drug use.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
there are countries where it is allowed so this could be for a legitimate reason in their country.

And in those countries and heck even in most States in the US where 'paraphernalia' is loosely defined under law you can pick up such a device legally over the counter or on the Internet shipped to your door... The question begs what is the intent and purpose of making this device, maybe the OP can enlighten as there are 'legal' uses for such a device and reasons one would like to build their own...

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
hey coca... shh keep this a secret, my last post took bout 15 minutes to write because I couldn't figure out how to spell paraphernalia..... shhhhh

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
hey coca... shh keep this a secret, my last post took bout 15 minutes to write because I couldn't figure out how to spell paraphernalia..... shhhhh

We have a spell check but I use ISpell for my browser.

Regarding the herb issue: I'm not my brothers keeper and I regard the entire pot issue to be no different from the US's lame prohibition era. Al Capone and all that followed would never have amounted to more than a common street thugs if it were not for prohibition.

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012

Firefox has a built in spell check, hardly perfect but it does the job most of the time... If not I find a Google search to be the best spell check I have ever used, you can destroy the word and Google will still figure it out probably 90% of the time, destroy it another way and you can get near 100% correction... I can't spell worth a poop, it's something I have always struggled with...

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Google, ain't that the truth. I can punch in a word at dictionary.com and have it return "Not Found". Yet Google, like you said, always seems properly reconstruct a butchered word.

Chris