Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help: 18Khz+ Amp and Speaker Impedance matching

louarnold

Dec 5, 2012
I have a circuit that generates a range of sine-wave signal frequencies using an LTC6903 chip.
I need to drive a speaker - the small PC speaker will be fine - up to 20KHz. I don't know how to design the impedance matching circuit or the amplification portion. It would help to run it of +/- 12V.

Alternatively, with the proper impedance match again, I can input the signal to one of the inputs of a 50W per channel Sony audio amplifier (some 30 years old now).

What should I do and how should I do it?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there

yes you could run it into that amplifier say an aux input
just be aware of the signal level from the signal generator keep it very low
impedance matching for something like that isnt hugely critical, its going to work regardless

Altermatively, if you just want a small signal level to a small speaker, google LM386
its an audio amplifier chip ~ 0.5 - 0.8 W outpu, you could use it to drive an old say... external PC music speaker etc :)

Dave

louarnold

Dec 5, 2012
Hi there

yes you could run it into that amplifier say an aux input
just be aware of the signal level from the signal generator keep it very low
impedance matching for something like that isnt hugely critical, its going to work regardless

Altermatively, if you just want a small signal level to a small speaker, google LM386
its an audio amplifier chip ~ 0.5 - 0.8 W outpu, you could use it to drive an old say... external PC music speaker etc :)

Dave
I tried this on the bench with a +5V supply to the osc. chip. The open circuit output (AC coupled) is between +/-2.5V. However, when I connected a PC speaker to it (even through a unity gain 741 Op Amp at +/-12V), the signal level dropped to nothing (sharp positive and negative spikes). I felt the problem was the impedance mismatch. The chip output impedance is 45 ohms and the speaker is 8 ohms. Can you comment on this?