Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP: AC motor control with an H-bridge

ozgur84

Feb 8, 2013
Hello Everybody,

I am new in forum and I am not an electronic engineer,I am a Physicist. That's why I need some help for a basic motor control circuit which I want to make some additions to control an AC gear motor.

I found a basic DC motor controller circuit which can drive a low voltage DC motor. Here you can see the circuit diagram.

I also found a good electric gear motor 1r/min which can perfectly work for my application in the local store. However the motor is an 230V 50Hz 3Watts AC motor.

My plan is using the connections of two 555 IC Timer (3rd legs, at where the motor leads are connected on the circuit diagram above) with two NPN transistors (MOSFETs I think) which are capable of working at 230V. I think, I can supply the Transistor part of the circuit with 230V separated from the timer circuit and I connect the 3rd legs of 555s to the 1st connections (base) of the NPNs.

At this point, first, I want to know which transistors I can use and second, what sort of extra additions should I make

Thank you all in advance...

PS: I think I can supply the 555s with 3 to 15V. There is no limitation here.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Without going into a deep analysis I don't think that circuit is suitable for your purposes. It seems to control motor speed and direction by adjusting a PWM signal to the DC motor.

Here is a schematic for an AC motor controller (Google). This may give you a starting point.

Working with 230V (AC) is dangerous. Better get experienced help locally. Don't risk your life or that of other persons.

ozgur84

Feb 8, 2013
Without going into a deep analysis I don't think that circuit is suitable for your purposes. It seems to control motor speed and direction by adjusting a PWM signal to the DC motor.

Here is a schematic for an AC motor controller (Google). This may give you a starting point.

Working with 230V (AC) is dangerous. Better get experienced help locally. Don't risk your life or that of other persons.

Dear Harald Kapp,

Thanks for your security notice and the answer. However I am looking for a circuit which I can use an H-bridge in it, basically as I explained above.