Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help finding the right bits

Sharks58uk

Jan 30, 2012
Hi all,

I hope someone will be kind enough to offer me some advice.

I'm very new to electronics, and I need to make a simple circuit. Essentially it is just a light that comes on when a push switch is held down, and goes off when it is released. I don't know the technical term for a switch like that though.

The light itself also needs to be quite specific. It has to be something similar to a mini maglite. It has to be around 10mm in diameter, and provide a quite "focussed" or "directed" light, and preferably blue. I know that many torches seem to use a lens and a reflective area to achieve this. I feel like I just don't know the technical terms or what to look for on the stat sheets.

If anyone can give me any guidance I would be very grateful.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's just a 'momentary-on' switch.
Look 'em up in a parts catalog, or Google them.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
mom-on for switch and for the light use a ultra bright LED with a focusing lense. LED's are good for a few reasons but you must make sure you wire it up right. most LED's need a resistor to limit current being passed through or they tend to take too much and fizzle out. alot of the maglites now use LED's because they use fair less to power them then the bulbs from normal torches. that or you could borrow my 2600 lumen HID torch.... that thing shines for miles lol

Sharks58uk

Jan 30, 2012
mom-on for switch and for the light use a ultra bright LED with a focusing lense. LED's are good for a few reasons but you must make sure you wire it up right. most LED's need a resistor to limit current being passed through or they tend to take too much and fizzle out. alot of the maglites now use LED's because they use fair less to power them then the bulbs from normal torches. that or you could borrow my 2600 lumen HID torch.... that thing shines for miles lol

Thanks for this too. I'll let you know how it goes :)