Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP!!! I have a fault -- Read me FIRST

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Lots of people post messages about faults here (possibly because it's the right place).

However, in order to help you, there are some things you might wish to provide us before we ask you.

0) What is the device. Obvious maybe, but people have forgotten to mention. Is it a TV, an external hard drive, an alarm system, or what? Make and model is appropriate where known. (Also how old is it. If it's still under warranty this may suggest an alternative response).

1) What is the fault -- "Not working" is not helpful. Saying that the power light goes on, then immediately goes off again when you try to tun it on is VERY helpful.

2) History of the fault. Did this happen suddenly? Has it been happening for a while, but now happens all the time? Does it begin to work after several tries?

3) Actions unspecified in the manual. :) Has it been dropped, dunked, spilt over, left in the sun, left without ventilation, had the wrong plugpack fitted, etc.

4) Does anything look or smell burnt? Look on both sides of printed circuit boards and look at the board too.

5) Do any components look "wrong". An example might be something having a different or uneven colour compared to similar components, or components leaning over when others are all upright, or, well, anything unusual.

6) PHOTOS -- Please give us some good photos of any areas obviously affected.

If you need help identifying a part, then you would be best advised to look for a part number on it, then read this.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
We can but try. But please post them in a new thread.

If you're a new member, you'll have to post a message in an existing thread before you can start your own thread. We have a "welcome" thread HERE where you can post your first message.

(Actually, at present you can probably start a thread without having a posting history, but you won't be able to attach images or links)

Last edited:

siggy

Mar 3, 2012
Also try a google search if a component is burnt / defective or try a model # search

Use terms like "manufacturer" "model number" circuit / component list

It's amazing the information you can garner doing this

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
As long as this thread has ---bumped into the New Posts List.....

It would be a big help to me if people would name what they're having a problem with, IN THE THREAD TITLE. I check in here most days and look at the New Posts List, but I usually pass over most new posts because I rarely have the expertise needed. My electronic knowledge is pretty basic, but I'm a senior technician and know a lot about professional-grade alarm systems; So I look for words like "alarm", "PIR", "Falsing", "Intruder", etc,

On a given day, this forum may get several dozen new threads. A title like "PLEASE HELP" is not going to signal me that I can help. It signals me that somebody is going to make me work at Twenty Questions to drag out the information s/he probably could have put in the title.

What *Steve* said about including model numbers goes for alarm system problems. Please don't just say, "I have an ADT alarm.": It's like saying "I have a Radio Shack amplifier.." ADT and other dealers don't make their equipment, they buy their equipment from manufacturers. Look at your control box (not the keypad) and you can usually find a model number on the inside of the metal cabinet door.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
On a given day, this forum may get several dozen new threads. A title like "PLEASE HELP" is not going to signal me that I can help. It signals me that somebody is going to make me work at Twenty Questions to drag out the information s/he probably could have put in the title.

us mod's will often rename them if we see that sort of title
tho I'm sure the occasional one slips through

But I agree with your comments. Not only the title but the first post description of the gear and fault needs to be much clearer
So many don't even bother to give make and model till prompted .... They expect us to be able to mind read LOL ;)

Dave

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Awe man! You know all that clever electronics stuff and you can't even mind read? I'll give you a crash course Dave :cool:

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

You also might find a lot of tips in this resource:
Troubleshooting and Repair info pages

It will also help to have a (service) manual at hand.
This resource has some links to sites that can provide manuals:
Service manuals and schematics

Often are faulty caps a problem in devices.
This page shows how you can visualy search for faulty caps:

Bertus

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

When posting pictures, resize the pictures to about 300 kB to post.
Posting links to picture sites may render useless over time.

Bertus