Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help Identify Component

Samsam

Nov 12, 2016
Can anyone help me identify the brown component and what the numbers represent. From the research that I've done the closes thing that I found to this is a "Polyester Capacitor".
IMG_0670.JPG

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
0.1μf.
Is this part of a relay/contactor coil snubber? If so the operating voltage of the circuit it is in will give you an idea of voltage rating.
Do you suspect it bad, as it appears to be OK condition?
M.

Samsam

Nov 12, 2016
0.1μf.
Is this part of a relay/contactor coil snubber? If so the operating voltage of the circuit it is in will give you an idea of voltage rating.
Do you suspect it bad, as it appears to be OK condition?
M.

Yes it is a part of a contactor coil, the coil is 120 ac volts. Yes I do suspect it is bad tested it for continuity and and got no response. What is the proper name for this component. have to buy one anyway as I have broken a prong off of it. What do the term "snubber" means?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
1 is one
0 is zero
4 is 0000
so 100,000pF or 100nF or 0.1μF
I think the K is the type of insulation and the 630 is probably the permitted voltage.

There should be NO DC connection through it, it is a capacitor

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Yes I do suspect it is bad tested it for continuity and and got no response.

it shouldn't have continuity ... it's a capacitor

as minder said it looks in good condition, when these type of caps fail, it's usually catastrophically and VERY obvious

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Yes it is a part of a contactor coil, the coil is 120 ac volts. Yes I do suspect it is bad tested it for continuity and and got no response. What is the proper name for this component. have to buy one anyway as I have broken a prong off of it. What do the term "snubber" means?
As already pointed out, it will show no continuity, it is a capacitor.
A snubber is a term for a suppression device connected across an AC inductive device such as this case where it seems it could be across the contactor coil, the contactor or? It will operate without it, just that you may get an inductive spike when the coil releases.
It is equivalent to the reverse EMF diode on a DC device.
There should be a resistor in series with it, normally.
What are the symptoms that make you suspect it?
I could not upload a pdf as it is too large unfortunately, Google Snubber.
M.

Attachments

• snubber.jpg
    snubber.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 66
  • snubber2.jpg
    snubber2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 38

Samsam

Nov 12, 2016
As you can tell I'm not electronically savvy, but I learn quickly. I've tested everything in the circuit and not knowing what this component do I decided to investigate. You have been a great help in explaining this to me. thanks