Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help identifying blue capacitor in power board of espresso maker

DorkKnight

Jul 1, 2012
So this really awesome espresso maker was hit with a power surge, probably from construction work going on in the office. It's very sad, coworkers are sad, this thing makes
great coffee:

Nespresso D120 Citiz

So I pulled it apart and got to the power circuit and found that one component, what looks like a disk capacitor, is gone:

e193317-328ds-burnt.jpg

There is really nothing left of it, it's just pieces - a hard metal disk from the middle and burnt legs with a hint of blue. All the markings are burned off, so I can't tell what it is. Also, a leg on the lower-right transistor is melted, but the rest of the components seem ok. I can fix the leg on the transistor and since no other capacitors / transistors seem blown, I hope this thing can work again if I can find what microfarad rating this destroyed cap is.

I Googled extensively, and can't find any schematics for this board, 94V-0 E193317 328ds, but there are related posts in French. One is from another Nespresso machine, from the same manufacturer, and has a blue disk capacitor in it.

photo.jpg

The other is a power board for a mixer, which doesn't look the same at all. I guess that power board uses the same transistor or something, but not the same layout.

allcomponent.jpg

So, is there anyway to know what this capacitor's microfarad rating is for a power regulator board like this? It's probably rated for at least 120V for 110V US current, but is there a common capacitance for disk type capacitors in power boards like this? In this cleaned-up pic, you can see where the capacitor once lived, near the center bottom, right of the transistor:

e193317-328ds-cleaned.jpg

The missing cap goes to ground on the underside of the board, and the other leg goes to the slightly melted (what I think is a) power resistor, which I don't think is blown. That resistor goes to the farthest south diode, which splits off to another transistor and the closest to the bottom radial cap... then on and on.

Any help would be great. This coffee maker is awesome and it would be a shame to throw out a $300 machine over a $5 part.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
It's not a capacitor. It's a MOV (metal oxide varistor) TVS (transient voltage suppressor) intended to absorb surges but not ones that big. The odds that it's the only component that needs to be replaced are less than even. In any case, you need to thoroughly clean the remaining soot off the board since it's conductive and will short out the circuits.

All of the components on the board appear to be process sealed so you can clean it with detergent and water then rinse thouroughly, rinse again with isopropyl alcohol, then blow off the alcohol with compressed air and set the board on a warm heating pad to dry.

Last edited:

DorkKnight

Jul 1, 2012
Awesome. Thank you for the help.

How do I know what rating of MOV / TVS to buy? This appliance is 1720 watt, according to the label. Is it bidirectional, unidirectional? What is the most important value for an MOV / TVS - the rated wattage, voltage or voltage tolerance?

This may be a long shot, but I'll happily wager $5 for a part instead of just tossing an expensive appliance.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Voltage, physical size & lead spacing and energy rating in that order will be the considerations for a replacement. No, color was not included, but if you want blue, try Bourns. The one you had appears to be a 10mm disk but if you have room and the lead spacing matches you can get a higher energy rating with a larger disk. You basically want the highest energy rating you can fit in for the voltage.

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Application_Notes/an9311.pdf

You may be able to get a replacement control board from Nespresso, but it looks like it's made by a subcontractor or subsidiary from the markings partially hidden under the blue relay or capacitor.

Last edited:

azc

Apr 1, 2013
Hello read about your problem with Nespresso D120 Citiz.
Not a lot about myself. Doing repairs coffee's devices.
Back to the subject. This board is established not only Nespresso D120 Citiz, C110 Citiz, and similar models.
As to the "what looks like a disk" is its varistor for mains voltage is 120V CNR-10D221K, for mains voltage is 220Volt CNR-10D391K.
As for the transistor to him from the burning foot, it's not a transistor a triac. Half the battle to restore the leg, still need to test it out at the breakdown.
If you have any questions, ask.

Attachments

• Фото442.jpg
    Фото442.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,004
Last edited: