Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help identifying opposing connector

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What is it used for? Lighting, air conditioning, or?
Do you know the rated current of this connector?
You may have to replace both plug and receptacle if you chose an alternative part.

SpankyValli

Nov 10, 2020
I updated the pictures so you can see the measurements and the keying better. it's for a battery monitor sensor (BMS) from a 2nd generation Volvo S60 T5. it looks like the dimensions are about 1.1mm x 0.7mm Inside Diameter with an outside barrel length of 1.6mm, and I just measured the depth of the connector's opening (no picture) by bottoming out a small allen wrench, and it actually came to 1.8mm, so it appears it goes slightly deeper into the sensor than the exposed connector housing would indicate.

can't replace the female connector without likely destroying the sensor.

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Pull one off a Volvo at a junkyard? There's likely several Volvo model years using the same connector. Otherwise an auto parts supplier may sell a "pigtail" that is a length of wire with the connector on it.

If worst came to worst, you could solder any connector you wanted (that you can find a mating half for and that is temperature resistant and moisture proof) onto the pins in it, epoxy-fill the junction between the two, and put the mating half on the other end.

It probably only measures voltage so the current requirement approaches zero, but you can research this.

Last edited:

SpankyValli

Nov 10, 2020
the vintage of volvo that has the BMS is too new for the u pull yards (I was there today looking at them while contaminated mud seeped into my socks), and the non-self service junkyards rip out all the wires and sell them as scrap copper.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ What model year is it? Remember that in the internet era, you can search junkyard databases and get things shipped to you too.

How about the other idea of picking a mating connector pair and soldering that up? As far as that goes, how about just soldering the wires right onto it then filling with epoxy? It is not rocket surgery to just make a (mechanically large due to the environment but probably very low current), two wire electrical connection.

You did not tell us the vehicle model or engine or the part # or anything else normally used as info in an automotive forum. How about asking in an automotive forum where they deal with this sort of thing regularly? Measuring does not do so much good on proprietary automotive connectors as it would for general electronics products where the connectors are sourced from existing products, rather than designed from scratch.

Even if you had the housing and pin size, shape, spacing, heat resistance, etc right, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to seat in and latch, and make a weatherproof seal unless specifically designed for the application. I mean sure if you can get every single dimension right it would but every time you add another variable, it becomes exponentially less likely that a *generic* part will work rather than an OEM one, or an aftermarket once the design has been on the market long enough for anyone to bother. If it is not old enough to find specimens at junkyards then it probably isn't old enough for a sufficient customer base to exist for a 3rd party to make one.

Volvo is unlikely to make very limited runs of vehicles that use this connector, so I feel there has to be a donor in a junkyard somewhere.

Last edited: