Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help identifying SMD diode

Daybear63

Jul 21, 2020
By a stupid mistake i managed to hook up my Tomtom XXL to 12v and blew a SMD diode on the pcb. I borrowed a XXL from a friend and could see the diode was marked B, but i could not find any info on that particular SMD diode. Could someone help me to identify this diode or suggest a equivalent replacement?DSCN3221.JPG

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@Martaine2005 : A BAP50 as in your link is a RF pin diode in a SOT-23 case. This is not what @Daybear63 is looking for. An SOD323 or similar is required.
From the catalog a BAS16-03W matched the code and the case.
However, given that SMD markings are so short due to the small case sizes this is not an unambiguous resolution to the question. Without access to a BoM or a schematic (both probably not available to the public) I think no definite answer can be given. Sorry :(

Anyway, I wonder if this is the only component that was destroyed by that unlucky connection to 12 V. I suspect more components will have taken a blow.

Daybear63

Jul 21, 2020
@Martaine2005 : A BAP50 as in your link is a RF pin diode in a SOT-23 case. This is not what @Daybear63 is looking for. An SOD323 or similar is required.
From the catalog a BAS16-03W matched the code and the case.
However, given that SMD markings are so short due to the small case sizes this is not an unambiguous resolution to the question. Without access to a BoM or a schematic (both probably not available to the public) I think no definite answer can be given. Sorry :(

Anyway, I wonder if this is the only component that was destroyed by that unlucky connection to 12 V. I suspect more components will have taken a blow.
Thank you for your input:) The unit charging light turns on when i connect power but the unit itself would not turn on. The diode is not conducting. So i had a small hope that the only component blown was the diode.;)