Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help! i'm trying to fix my computer monitor!

macalaca

May 14, 2012
Hello everyone! I currently own a Hp F1703 monitor but it recently began having some problems. Every time I turn it on, the screen displays the Windows logo but then goes black. After much research i discovered this is a massive production problem because of a "cold spot" in one of the circuits. So i opened up my monitor ready to solder what normally breaks down because of inefficient soldering and discovered that something completely different had burned.

Follow this link to see what normally breaks down: http://www.lesliewong.us/blog/2005/05/02/hp-pavilion-f1703-flat-panel-display-blackout-solution/

Now in my case, this is what broke down:

screen-shot-2012-05-14-at-3-29-54-pm-png.36227

What burned is in the red square and what i pointed is the exact same thing, only in perfect conditions.

I just want to know if this screen can be saved by taking it to an electrical component shop, or if i should trash it. And also, what is that thing that burned and why? All the help in the world is welcome.

Thank you.

Also, this is what the circuit looks in the back.

screen-shot-2012-05-14-at-3-33-42-pm-png.36228

As you can see, the heat melted the white stuff. I really don't have a clue about electronics, but i hope this post is enough for an expert!

Thank you very much!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi
Welcome to the forums :)

your images are not showing up
when I check the www address it takes me to a PC forum site that the images cannot be accessed without joining the forum
and I really dont intend doing that

post (upload) your images to this forum from your computer, using the Go Advanced button and then the Manage Attachments button :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

macalaca

May 14, 2012
Thanks for the heads up Davenn, here are the pictures again:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• circuito A.jpg
    circuito A.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Circuito B.jpg
    Circuito B.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 395

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The white stuff is just a bit of silicon sealer, its only use in the circuit is to stop bulkier components moving around with vibration etc and breaking their connections

The burnt part well probably an IC like the other one arrowed.
depending on what it is and its availability will determine if the board is repairable

in general its not worth taking them to a repair shop, even in labour charges the repair
cost will probably be close to or exceed the cost of a decent replacement that you will get a warranty with

cheers
Dave