Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP!!! Kinetic Lamp design project!

VMagno

Feb 11, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I've been lurking for quite a while reading up on good info. Unfortunately I've been having problem with my latest project and can't seem to figure it out, I'm an amateur btw. So this is my project!

I'm building a kinetic lamp, not only do I want it to move but also be touch activated, hence the whole exterior structure of the lamp will be made of aluminum. (First question here; Will aluminum work for touch switch?) Aluminum I'm using is thin sheet aluminum from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Build...lain-Aluminum-Sheet-in-Silver-56064/202091748
88945.jpeg

So I want this lamp to hang from the ceiling, so I bought a socket:
so95080bl.jpg

After that I bought a dimmable light bulb, as I would like to be able to adjust the light intensity of this lamp (one is LED other is fluorescent):
DLiqxuV.jpg

To turn it into a touch dimmable lamp I bought this 3 way touch dimmer to instal into the socket (or so I thought):
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TOUCH-CON...CIRCUIT-KIT-/380916453019?hash=item58b063ce9b

And to set up the movement inside I bought a 10 rpm 12v motor:
$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-Volta...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486e785615

The motor I will later fit with some parts extending to the aluminum sheets I want it to move, but as you can see I (foolishly maybe) just went out and bought the essential parts I thought I needed for this, now I'm stuck on even installing the touch dimmer/on/off switch. I looked up this instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-conversion-of-metal-lamp-to-use-touch-swi/?ALLSTEPS

But the wiring is different on the simple socket I have, just one hot and neutral cable going into the socket, I have no idea what to do with the black cable from the dimmer.
9ltb9rC.jpg

How do I wire this thing to get it to work? Do I need different components? New socket? Different dimmer? I did this abomination which I'm scared to complete much more connect to the outlet:
khvsM1z.jpg

So this is what i need help on, your expertise would be greatly appreciated!

6rBSHuB.jpg

How can i wire or set this up so that when you touch the aluminum body, the bulb turns on and the motor starts running, in turn moving the pieces I'll connect to it?

Is it possible to wire it so that everything turns on in one go? Do I need separate power for the motor?

Is it possible to make? Would be perfect if I would turn a small light bulb socket to a touch sensor one ready to connect to a metal surface and the motor also ready to turn on when you touch the lamp as well.

This is an ongoing project and will later be fitted with a bluetooth speaker but thats for later :) I wanna get this issue our of the way first.

Thank you so much! greatly appreciate any input on this, I've electrocuted myself plenty already :/

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I don't like how this is starting out.
If you wire this incorrectly (Like it has been done here)
khvsM1z.jpg

You can cause quite the shock hazard...
According to a diagram you posted further up... The black wire, and one of the wires from the bulb socket must be attached together with one of the AC wires.
The white wire is to be attached to the remaining bulb socket wire.
The red wire is to be attached to the remaining AC wire.

Please get an electrician to wire this...

Short answer for the motor...
Probable, but not guaranteed.
You need to drop the voltage down to 12V DC. If you use a switch mode power supply, it could end up getting damaged. If you use transformer and rectifier, it will run slower when 'dim'.
Again. Please get an electrician to wire this.

VMagno

Feb 11, 2015
Thanks Gryd! Yeah I figured that was an atrocity :(

Lost patience when I didn't know what to do with the black one, I guess it's for lamps that have plenty more wiring than a stand alone bulb socket. Just looked up the schematics for the switch mode power supply, also searched for the alternatives you mentioned. Guess I wanted to be able to wire it myself which clearly is a disaster, and for this I'll need help.

I'll look for an electrician near me, could one electrician make it possible as to directly wire the bulb and dimmer with the motor so all the plastic casing is removed hence a lot less space consumed? (Proper insulation in place still) Like take apart everything and just make it one? Probably asking for magic here but I'm also looking for that technical input from the person on how to set it up more efficiently hopefully an electrician would be enough?

Thanks again for the quick reply, I'll get on it

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks Gryd! Yeah I figured that was an atrocity :(

Lost patience when I didn't know what to do with the black one, I guess it's for lamps that have plenty more wiring than a stand alone bulb socket. Just looked up the schematics for the switch mode power supply, also searched for the alternatives you mentioned. Guess I wanted to be able to wire it myself which clearly is a disaster, and for this I'll need help.

I'll look for an electrician near me, could one electrician make it possible as to directly wire the bulb and dimmer with the motor so all the plastic casing is removed hence a lot less space consumed? (Proper insulation in place still) Like take apart everything and just make it one? Probably asking for magic here but I'm also looking for that technical input from the person on how to set it up more efficiently hopefully an electrician would be enough?

Thanks again for the quick reply, I'll get on it
That dimmer module is meant for a light with only 2 wires... ie, the one you have.
It's just wired incorrectly.

Alternatively, you can look into low voltage lighting. This would be much safer for you to work on. 12V Halogen for example. This also means that the light and motor would use the same voltage ;)
The current setup is going to operate like a bedside touch lamp. Every-time you touch it, the brightness will increase, then you touch it again and it turns off. It will not be timed.
If you are willing or able to put more time into it, you can add to the function of your project by building some simple schematics. (ie, a touch sensor, and/or a timer).

If you get an electrician who is familiar with the units, they may (depending on the 12V supply) be able to make it function as you intend and shrink the size down. If the 'dimmer' won't power the 12V source for the motor, they can always use a relay. Most cases will result in the motor only ever having one speed. (On/ and Off only)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
A qualified electrician is not going to "rig" something up to your specifications, but rather to what the law requires.
In the past, depending on what country you reside, one-off items such as this would require a one-off certification from a local authority before being connected to the main supply.
Couple of issues I can see straight up is the casing of the ES screw on the lampholder can become live either through incorrect wiring, a lost neutral or both, also one cannot higgildy piggildy mix 240v and low voltage without appropriate insulation.

VMagno

Feb 11, 2015
That dimmer module is meant for a light with only 2 wires... ie, the one you have.
It's just wired incorrectly.

Alternatively, you can look into low voltage lighting. This would be much safer for you to work on. 12V Halogen for example. This also means that the light and motor would use the same voltage ;)
The current setup is going to operate like a bedside touch lamp. Every-time you touch it, the brightness will increase, then you touch it again and it turns off. It will not be timed.
If you are willing or able to put more time into it, you can add to the function of your project by building some simple schematics. (ie, a touch sensor, and/or a timer).

If you get an electrician who is familiar with the units, they may (depending on the 12V supply) be able to make it function as you intend and shrink the size down. If the 'dimmer' won't power the 12V source for the motor, they can always use a relay. Most cases will result in the motor only ever having one speed. (On/ and Off only)

I cannot thank you enough! I'm sorry for the lack of basic knowledge here, electronics is quite new to me. I'll look for that 12v halogen, and discuss it with an electrician. I'll definitely look to adding more functions to the project, hopefully bluetooth enable everything down the road, including the speakers. I'll keep you posted if you want, thanks again!! C:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
A qualified electrician is not going to "rig" something up to your specifications, but rather to what the law requires.
In the past, depending on what country you reside, one-off items such as this would require a one-off certification from a local authority before being connected to the main supply.
Couple of issues I can see straight up is the casing of the ES screw on the lampholder can become live either through incorrect wiring, a lost neutral or both, also one cannot higgildy piggildy mix 240v and low voltage without appropriate insulation.
'rigging' is probably a poor example, but they would have the means to provide safer equipment than a DIY attempt.

VMagno

Feb 11, 2015

Hmmm gotta find me a clandestine one :cool:
Nah I just checked up on what you said, couldn't find any requirement by law for certification on one off items here but there surely must be something, will talk that over with the electrician, wasn't aware of that. I understand safety is major when dealing with electronics so that's definitely first on my list, don't worry i don't intend to die while I'm so pretty and young, neither hurt other people with it.