Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me identify this motor

Somethingrandom

Jan 20, 2014
I am hoping to use this motor for a rock tumbling project but I'm not sure if it's suitable. It's origins are a bit of a mystery. We believe it came out of an all in one air conditioning unit.
It has a bundle of five wires (black white blue purple and red) and an earth wire attached to the caseing. If we are able to identify it any recomendations to hook up would be appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0311[1].jpg
    IMG_0311[1].jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 129

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I think there are too many 'what ifs' involved here.
Rock tumblers are geared-down for a low speed. The motor you posted doesn't have
any gearing and will run too fast for your application, (unless you have some type of
external gearing). I can only speculate on all the motor wires. Maybe different speeds,
maybe forward/reverse, maybe temperature sensor, maybe somebody else here would
have other ideas.
I'd suggest looking for a motor geared for low speed use.

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
I am hoping to use this motor for a rock tumbling project but I'm not sure if it's suitable. It's origins are a bit of a mystery. We believe it came out of an all in one air conditioning unit.
It has a bundle of five wires (black white blue purple and red) and an earth wire attached to the caseing. If we are able to identify it any recomendations to hook up would be appreciated.

Cheers

Just a guess , but I would think the black is hot , the white is neutral , if it is a 120 volt motor !

The colored wires are speed for example Blue low speed ., Red medium speed etc

As previous post says , it could also be a forward or reverse rotation motor.

Possibly the other colors are for connection from a different voltage !

Like I said ... Just a guess !

Is there not a name plate ?

My best suggestion would be , to take it to a motor repair shop , and they should be able to ring it out for you !

Last edited:

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
ask my ac tech he said its a blower motor red slow blue med black high white power the other wire would be the start windings run off a cap, also said it could be either a 220 or a 110 volt motor depending on the unit maker and age .the red and blue run to reststors on unit to get speed control.

jc

Last edited:

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
On further thinking about this motor , I M O , even if it has speed control , it may be too fast for a rock tumbler application .
Unless it is geared down !

This is interesting . Please keep us informed of your progress !

Somethingrandom

Jan 20, 2014
Success! I hit the jackpot this morning while searching my junk pile for the motor capacitor. Found the wiring diagram and the switch containing I assume internal resistors for speed control. Works like magic. Throw away nothing!

Thanks for your help everyone.
:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0312[1].jpg
    IMG_0312[1].jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0313[1].jpg
    IMG_0313[1].jpg
    90 KB · Views: 119

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
I hope in some way we all helped !

Happy that you rescued a good piece of equipment from the landfill !

super-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif