Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help me to design 60w portable power supply

ALJOHANI22

Feb 9, 2015
i wish if you can help me design a power supply has these specification,

Title: "Design of a 60W portable power supply for Engineers"
Specific requirements
· Must be able to maintain the “set” output voltage regardless of input voltage and load current.
· A method for setting output voltage
· A method displaying load current and output voltage
· Have an internal rechargeable battery for when a mains connection isn't available
· Output noise kept to a minimum
· Over current protection
Electrical characteristics
Input: 12 Vdc
Output: Adjustable 1-30Vdc +/- 2% @ 2A

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there
welcome to EP

would be easier, cheaper and less time consuming to just buy one
and add a backup battery supply to it :)

Dave

ALJOHANI22

Feb 9, 2015
Thanks Dave for your suggestion I wish I could do so but that design I have to do it for academic purpose.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
We have a forum for that. It's called Electronics Homework Help. I have moved this thread there.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@ALJOHANI22 You specify "Input: 12 Vdc" and "have an internal rechargeable battery for when a mains connection isn't available." Last time I looked, mains connection in the UK is about 240 VAC. So which is it? Mains power or battery power or both?

Also, you stated "Must be able to maintain the “set” output voltage regardless of input voltage and load current." This seems unreasonable unless the power supply automagically switches to internal battery power when the mains voltage drops or increases to certain levels that you did not specify.

You need to do some homework. Surely there were suggestions or discussions in your class concerning this "problem," which is a rather vanilla power supply project.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@ALJOHANI22 You specify "Input: 12 Vdc" and "have an internal rechargeable battery for when a mains connection isn't available." Last time I looked, mains connection in the UK is about 240 VAC. So which is it? Mains power or battery power or both?

LOL, I read and missed that ... definitely needs clarification :)

Dave

ALJOHANI22

Feb 9, 2015
Dear hevans1944 thanks for your replay but because I have very short time to finish this task that's why I put it here to hear from expert such as you and other friends .

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dear hevans1944 thanks for your replay but because I have very short time to finish this task that's why I put it here to hear from expert such as you and other friends .

you didn't answer his and my question about the input voltage

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Well, the problem is we only provide help with homework problems... not completed designs. And, as @davenn noted, you didn't answer his or my questions. If all you are looking for is a "canned" solution that you can submit in class as your own work, so surf the web. There are plenty of designs out there that you can use in their entirety or adapt so as to appear to be your original work. If the time to submit your "design" is so short, I assume you don't have time to actually build and test anything. As you noted earlier, its academic.

ALJOHANI22

Feb 9, 2015
Well I really appreciate your attention and I'm looking for any advice because I'm working out in both way