Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me with Outlet & Switch? I've got nice pictures for you!

BPmax

Feb 1, 2011
Hello!
We have an bedroom outlet that was controlled by the wall switch. It stopped working.
The bottom outlet worked, but the top outlet stopped working with the switch.
We tried replicating what we saw with a new outlet and a new switch (four way switch?).
It didn't work. We get power, but no switch control (I did break the tab on the brass side).

Here are pictures of the situation. House is from 1954.
If anyone can walk us through, based on what you see - we would be grateful!!
PS We're barely smart enough to copy what we see... ...and to turn the main breakers off!

Original Layout.jpg Original Switch.jpgSwitch Wires.jpg Original Outlet2.jpg Outlet Wires.jpg Original Outlet Brass Side.jpg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
We're barely smart enough to copy what we see... ...and to turn the main breakers off!

When working with mains it is necessary to test before and after isolation with an approved meter to ensure wiring is indeed isolated from the supply.
Then when work is completed, additional testing is required to ensure correct polarity, breaker operation and earthing is in place.
I would advise you get someone qualified in electrical in your country.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir BPmax . . . . .

With the photos, that house's original electrical components and its photos, thereby, definitively pinpoint it as post neanderthal --- pre cro-magnon vintage.
I have shown the wiring coming down, whereas your AC power wiring comes in and connects directly across the bottom AC outlet and the switch related wiring has no wire nut as is being shown.
Instead, the required two connections to the switch come down to the bottom outlet as a romex wire black and white pair and the black wire gets paired up with the already installed wire loop, to then have two black loops on that terminal .
Then the romex white wire coming down from the switch makes a loop to install to the isolated terminal just above the just mentioned black wires double loops.
FIO . . . the AC power white is connected to the left side of that outlet as being its sole wiring connection.
So o o o o o o the ORIGINAL switch MINIMALLY needed to be a Single Pole Single Throw switch, looks like they might have used a Double Pole Single Throw, instead.

So in your shopping and the potential confusion of having a switch with more than 2 connections . . . .4 . . . possibly you /or / a salesman [ Six muntz a goes I cutent evin spels E . . L . . E . . C . . T . . R . . I . . C . . A . . L, now, I ares ! an E . . L . . E . . C . . T . . R . . I . . C . . A . . L sailsmun ! ]
Wherein, you may have ended up with your receiving a differently purposed swirch ( 2 - way ) ( 3 way) ?

Soooooooo if you are not savvy on using electrical test equipment, you can just sequentially try the possible switch connections to the two B-W switch wires to find the proper connections for the switch. NUTTIN IS GOING TO BLOW UP ! . . . . . its just being a workee or no workee situation.
If wrong . . . . the outlet will just not light the plugged in floor lamp at its top plug connection .. . . . or then, there is being that one erroneous combination . . . . wherein he light goes on and off,
BUT the switch lever is erroneously being down with the light on and up with the light off.

CAVEAT . . . .

ALWAYS Have the relevant circuit breaker disconnecting your work at wiring changes .

Thaaaaaaaaaaassit.

HOWTODOITTOIT . . . . .
With it showing power flow arrows for the two separate outlets . . . . .
upload_2021-2-11_3-15-34.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Smlle and the world smiles with you . . . . . then Fart . . . . . and you stand alone . . .

BPmax

Feb 1, 2011
It's working now.
The Switch used the White wire to return power (hot) back to outlet. I didn't understand White wire using power.

Sir BPmax . . . . .

With the photos, that house's original electrical components and its photos, thereby, definitively pinpoint it as post neanderthal --- pre cro-magnon vintage.
I have shown the wiring coming down, whereas your AC power wiring comes in and connects directly across the bottom AC outlet and the switch related wiring has no wire nut as is being shown.
Instead, the required two connections to the switch come down to the bottom outlet as a romex wire black and white pair and the black wire gets paired up with the already installed wire loop, to then have two black loops on that terminal .
Then the romex white wire coming down from the switch makes a loop to install to the isolated terminal just above the just mentioned black wires double loops.
FIO . . . the AC power white is connected to the left side of that outlet as being its sole wiring connection.
So o o o o o o the ORIGINAL switch MINIMALLY needed to be a Single Pole Single Throw switch, looks like they might have used a Double Pole Single Throw, instead.

So in your shopping and the potential confusion of having a switch with more than 2 connections . . . .4 . . . possibly you /or / a salesman [ Six muntz a goes I cutent evin spels E . . L . . E . . C . . T . . R . . I . . C . . A . . L, now, I ares ! an E . . L . . E . . C . . T . . R . . I . . C . . A . . L sailsmun ! ]
Wherein, you may have ended up with your receiving a differently purposed swirch ( 2 - way ) ( 3 way) ?

Soooooooo if you are not savvy on using electrical test equipment, you can just sequentially try the possible switch connections to the two B-W switch wires to find the proper connections for the switch. NUTTIN IS GOING TO BLOW UP ! . . . . . its just being a workee or no workee situation.
If wrong . . . . the outlet will just not light the plugged in floor lamp at its top plug connection .. . . . or then, there is being that one erroneous combination . . . . wherein he light goes on and off,
BUT the switch lever is erroneously being down with the light on and up with the light off.

CAVEAT . . . .

ALWAYS Have the relevant circuit breaker disconnecting your work at wiring changes .

Thaaaaaaaaaaassit.

HOWTODOITTOIT . . . . .
With it showing power flow arrows for the two separate outlets . . . . .
View attachment 50924

73's de Edd . . . . .

Smlle and the world smiles with you . . . . . then Fart . . . . . and you stand alone . . .