Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed choosing a stepper motor controller

Dan O

Dec 2, 2014
I purchased this ball screw linear actuator with 12v stepper motor in the link below. I was thinking that I could control it with a standard motor controller that I already had, but it seems that I need a stepper motor controller.

These are the specs that they list, TIY for the help!

Name:42 Motor Lead Screw Slide
Model:659208
Specifications
Color:silver+black
Materials:aluminum alloy
Size:450*64*50mm
Slide Width:78mm
The Number Of Sliders:1
Horizontal Load:56KG
Vertical Load:15KG
Current:1.2A
Voltage:12V
Resistance:3.2 ohms
Step Angle:1.8º
Torque:45N.cm
Accuracy:0.1mm
Round Trip Accuracy:0.1-0.5mm
Ambient Temperature:-10º~50º
Slide Stroke:300mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1204-Ball-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Gecko is a good source of stepper controllers.
Steppers are not that common for linear actuators.
There are many linear actuators with DC brushed motors, but I assume it is too late now!
Looks like that one is aimed at DIY CNC machines.
Possibly you could just replace the motor?
M.

Dan O

Dec 2, 2014
Gecko is a good source of stepper controllers.
Steppers are not that common for linear actuators.
There are many linear actuators with DC brushed motors, but I assume it is too late now!
Looks like that one is aimed at DIY CNC machines.
Possibly you could just replace the motor?
M.

Thanks for your input. I was only seeing linear actuators (ball screw type) with stepper motors... I was actually hoping to change out the motor that came with it to a 1rpm brushed motor that I already had, but I purchased the wrong bracket...
Basically I need to lift and hold a load, but it only needs to move very slowly, and very little per day... the total travel will be up about eight inches over three weeks, then it would be reset to the bottom of travel and start all over again. I'm trying to come up with a prototype for an invention of mine, but I'm a complete newb at working with electric motors. It's definitely not too late, I'll buy anything that I need to make a viable proto-type. Thanks again!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Definitely a job for a worm drive gearbox as they will not "back drive" when the power is removed. (depends on gear ratio, usually more than 40:1 but most will suffice)
Drive with a dc motor for simplicity. Makes for ease of reverse as well.
You may not even require speed control at 1 rpm.
What you will need to do is some calculation/test on load to make sure your motor is strong enough.
If not, usually motors will have an applied voltage "range" so upping the voltage to the upper limit may suffice.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
For your usage, the stepper sounds ideal. If you use a DC motor you would need to have an encoder to feed back the position. With a stepper this can be done by counting steps.

Bob

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If the gearbox is indeed only 1 rev per minute output , then with the dc motor, one could get very close with "timed" run and therefore no feedback required.

More detail of the application would be a help.
For example if it's only feeding chickens then very little accuracy is required.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If the gearbox is indeed only 1 rev per minute output , then with the dc motor, one could get very close with "timed" run and therefore no feedback required.

More detail of the application would be a help.
For example if it's only feeding chickens then very little accuracy is required.
Yes, for the first few times, but the error will accumulate. Minimally, you would need limit switches so that you can reset with each cycle.

Bob

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Yes, for the first few times, but the error will accumulate. Minimally, you would need limit switches so that you can reset with each cycle.

Bob
mmm..maybe, maybe not.......if supply is constant and load is constant and time on constant....???
as I said it really depends if a chicken feeder or something else more demanding.
If the latter then I would agree.