Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed for Audio/Visual Project!

renegadeandy

Jan 1, 2017
Hi everyone!

I am new to this community and hope to be able to pull on some of your experience as I try to develop an idea out into something which functions!

I want to build a project which will be able to accept the following inputs:

1. Composite video
  2. RCA audio
  3. Scart Composite & RGB video + stereo audio
  4. S-Video
  5. RF video & Audio

And the output will be HDMI & RCA / Optical audio.

Please see this very rough block flow diagram of what I want to build.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_01_at_23_49_22.png

At this stage my idea is very high level - and I am trying to source the appropriate main components to help me fit this block diagram together!

Block 2 - This needs to be something which can accept all the various inputs - the NJY2025 accepts all but scart....would be ideal if I can find something which can accept scart -- can anyone help me here? Any other ideas?

Block 3 - Many LCD controller boards don't do a great job at handling the older inputs - if anybody knows of some kind of 'tidy all in one chip' which can take in a stream of video / or audio, and upscale / tidy / do various types of processing on the image to improve it, I would love to hear about it!

Block 4 - What comes out of the LCD controller board is LVDS, this needs to be turned back into an HDMI or DVI signal before being sent onto the display over a normal HDMI cable -- I cannot seem to find a source to purchase the CH7036 anywhere, and have written to chrontel with no response. I hope there are potentially more or better options here but I am struggling to find them - please help!

Block 5 - This needs to be ideally an IC which can accept the stereo / mono audio from the various inputs above and then 'tidy' and 'digitize' it for output over a toslink, and also just hand it straight over back to RCA for normal stereo audio.

I appreciate there is more than a single simple question here - but I have broken it down into the 5 main areas where I am looking for a bit of support. I may also be looking at this problem the wrong way around - if there is something obvious which I am missing, please also highlight it! I may have overlooked something which may make my life a lot easier (giving up is never an option!)

Anyone than comes across this post - I would love if you could simply weigh in with whatever advice, and knowledge you have in the areas of concern. If you are wondering what I am actually trying to do, I don't want to give the game away - but I essentially want to pull in old signals, tidy them, and output them in a standard format. Sure it has been done before - but I want to learn and do it my way :) Please leave any and all advice I could really do with it!

Many thanks in advance.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013

renegadeandy

Jan 1, 2017
Wonderful find Adam! Nice work!

The ADV7850 seems to require HDCP - which has a licence cost of $10,000 a year, so that's a no go I think. However the ADV7842 looks good as an alternative which can run without HDCP enabled.

I will do some reading up on the ADV7842 - seems like it can do a lot! I wonder if the ADV7842 might also provide the audio solution itself?!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok no probs. It will also be great fun to design a PCB for the project, you did say you wanted to learn :) If you decide to want to design your own PCB, we can help with that also.
Cheers
Adam

renegadeandy

Jan 1, 2017
I think thats a very very good idea!

Where do I start? Any free packages I can use? What would you suggest?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok so have a look at DIPTRACE, DesignSparks, KiCad and for a simulation tool that's free you can't beat LT-Spice or Tina from Texas Instruments.
http://kicad-pcb.org/
http://diptrace.com/
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/#LTspice
http://www.ti.com/tool/TINA-TI

Some of the free packages may have certain limitations which means you won't be able to use them for your design. You need to check these out first and choose one that you think will work for you. Let us know if your having trouble deciding and we can help.

Happy learning :)

Cheers
Adam