Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed PE/IR Sensor

decetch

Sep 2, 2013
I need to put some sort of sensor across a garage. The purpose of this sensor is to indicate when the car has passed the sensor. What I want is when the car "breaks" the beam, a light comes on. When the car has passed and the beam is restored, the light goes off.
I found the sensor below on ebay and I wondered if I can use this sensor, with a few modifications, for my purpose.
Do I need a battery with this sort of sensor? I hope I've made myself clear. Thanks.

Attachments

• PE Sensor Diagram.jpg
    PE Sensor Diagram.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 4

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
That might be sensitive to sun rays.....better to use a pir relay set for whatever, day and night or night only.

decetch

Sep 2, 2013
Hi Bluejets, Thanks for the reply. As you can propbably tell I know nothing about this. In the PIR relay set you suggest, will this work as I described in my post? That is, light on when beam broken, light off when beam restored.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
There is no " beam"....pir, passive infra red , detects infra red radiation. If this radiation stops moving, or goes out of range, the unit switches off.
The relay associated with this is adjustable for night and day, or night only operation and the units have built in timers which can be set from near zero to around 15 minutes.

darronaustin916

Sep 22, 2023
Your idea sounds great! Yes, the sensor you found on eBay seems suitable for your purpose with some modifications. For powering, this type of sensor typically requires a power source, so a battery or direct electrical connection might be needed. Ensure the modifications align with your intended functionality. Good luck with your project.

decetch

Sep 2, 2013
Hi darronaustin916,
Thanks for the reply. I found a DC adapter in the shed and hooked it up to that. Works like a charm. Exactly what I wanted it to do. LED light panel comes on when the beam is broken and goes off when the car has cleared the beam. Perfect.