Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed programming microcontroller

peg166

Oct 2, 2011
I've got two chips from a fruit machine faulty.One has got several legs broken off and the other has been fitted into the board upside down.
The numbers on chips are;
TMS JL 27CO40-10 (fitted upside down)
AM27CO40-150DC (legs broken off)
Is it just a case of buying a new chip and looking up on the net for a datasheet or will they need programming to the fruit machine manufacturers specifications?
Could the one fitted upside down still be read off a programmer or will it be destroyed?
I do not yet have a programmer and I've never used one.This is all new to me

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
These devices are 4 Megabit (512 K x 8-Bit) CMOS EPROMs. One is from Texas Instruments (TMS), the other from Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). An EPROM is an Electrically Programmable Read Only Memory. You are right in believing they are programmed devices. With a proper programmer you may be able to read the contents if they are not erased or otherwise corrupted or if the chip is not damaged. The programming algorithms may be different for each part since they are from different vendors (easy to look up). The TMS device is 100ns access time (the -10 code) the AM device is 150ns access time (-150 code).

Fruit machine - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fruit machine can refer to:

You may be able to solder the part with damaged pins to a connector, that then plugs in to a programmer (and even back into the board it was taken from) - do this carefully! The data retention times for these devices vary, and they vary as a function of UV exposure and time. Are the windows on the chip covered? What was the source of the malfunction, why two IC's, Why do you believe them faulty?

Tell us more, ask anything - not sure whatever it is might be worth fixing (or if you will be allowed to modify it without authorization).

fruit-slots-machine.jpg

peg166

Oct 2, 2011
I guess you would call it a slot machine.It has two IC's which determine the type of game is played and I think regulates winnings.
They have stickers on covering the window and labelled standard high and standard low.
I have two sets and it is the standard high IC's that are faulty.
It stopped working when the IC was put in wrong.I tried to get them from the manufacturer but they say they are no longer available,and that they were 99.9% sure it was incorrect fitting of the chip that was at fault and would need a new one.
The one with the broken legs will probably be impossible to solder.
I don't want to modify it,I want to get it working.
What type of programmer will I need?

Last edited:

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
I guess you would call it a slot machine.It has two IC's which determine the type of game is played and I think regulates winnings.
They have stickers on covering the window and labelled standard high and standard low.
I have two sets and it is the standard high IC's that are faulty.
It stopped working when the IC was put in wrong.I tried to get them from the manufacturer but they say they are no longer available,and that they were 99.9% sure it was incorrect fitting of the chip that was at fault and would need a new one.
The one with the broken legs will probably be impossible to solder.
I don't want to modify it,I want to get it working.
What type of programmer will I need?

If you know the failure mechanism and it is related to incorrect insertion it may have ruined the device(s).

There may be several things you can try.

* If you have a second identical (or very similar) machine, you could swap the
components from the good machine into the currently faulty one. If that works then you
at least know you are on to the problem.

* You could purchase a new (or used, but erased) part, and program them. But what
do you program them from? If you have a known good set, you can copy their contents
into the programmer, remove the good device, insert the new device and program it. If
you have access to the data files, you can load them on to your PC, download them to
the programmer and program a new device.

* You could find an enterprising technician from a local school or college who might do
the same.

I have seen the devices available on the internet (check the details):

27C040 (under $8 U.S.)
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...d=10001&freeText=27c040&search_type=jamecoall

EPROM PROGRAMMER

• top853 USB universal programmer EPROM MCU GAL PIC
http://www.ecrater.com/p/12304251/top853-usb-universal-programmer-eprom

• EPROM PROGRAMMER ON EBAY - same model, both around $50 U.S.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/top853-USB-...470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25574cabd6

PROGRAMMER ...................................................................................................................... 27C040

4e6ebd52a15ce_203454n.jpg
]
27C040%20PROM

32 PIN SOCKET
105381.jpg

Last edited:

peg166

Oct 2, 2011
That sheds a bit of light onto it and gives me something to work with.
Thanks for your help,I'll post results as and when mate