Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed to build a Simple radio to generate a tone

Dazza67

Dec 1, 2022
Giday all, First post, so Hi all.
A brief explanation of what I am trying to do, we have 2 cars that race in budget endurance racing. We have the occasional issue with our UHF comms where the drive cant hear the pit, and the pit might not hear the driver or a combination of either.
What I am wanting to do, for each car, is have a button that the driver of the car can press to generate a quick burst of tone on a receiver in the pit to alert the pit the driver cant hear the pit. Could one of you fine folk help out with such a project.
Thank you all in advance

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Two-pole push-button switch, one pole switching a simple audio oscillator connected to the microphone audio input and the other pole across the PTT switch.

If the microphone/PTT you currently use plugs into a socket then you could put the oscillator and switch in a separate box mounted conveniently and plug the mic/PTT into the box and a wander lead form the box to the 'proper' mic/PTT socket.

Google the bold words to find cheap/simple source of parts (ready-made).

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@kellys_eye : How is that going to help when the primary radio channel is inoperative?
What I understand is that the op asks for a backup channel. Maybe use a CB radio, then add the oscillator/switch combo to this separate radio?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
@kellys_eye : How is that going to help when the primary radio channel is inoperative?
My understanding is that the driver/pit simply can't UNDERSTAND what's being said (with the noise I'm not surprised) but the tone is clear enough to state 'I didn't hear you'.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
COL. Carrier operated light / carrier present light, LED. ?? Squelch indicator, carrier indicator, added LORA...
If there is no path for the RF link, nothing can be conveyed. If the thing is inteligibility, well, PTT to COL.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Is problem origin the actual UHF radio or ambient noise levels ?

If latter you could do a simple tone burst over mic circuit and use
a tone detector on other end.

Also could do an ESP32 or ESP8266 solution if WiFi at track good.
An example (light is turned on), search on youtube "esp8266 to esp8266 direct communication"

If UHF radio is problem boost its output power (representative example, make sure you are FCC
compliant with your allowed license :

Regards, Dana.