Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help, Newbie Question - Wall Dimmer to LED Driver

David Tinnes

Nov 17, 2015
I am very new to electronics and I am having trouble finding the right LED Driver for a project. I have a standard wall dimmer that I want to control an led light with. The current driver I have does not dim it only outputs the full wattage 3 watts in this case. What would I need to use to make the LED dim relative to the input voltage from my wall dimmer?
  • 3W Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Light
  • Input Voltage: 12VDC
This was the driver I purchased that works, but does not dim: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D83F3LM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Thank you!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I didn't research this, but I'll give you some trivia.
There are several types of wall dimmer switches available. The early versions used triacs to switch and didn't work right with those newer curly-que fluorescent bulbs.
I don't know what dimmers are being sold right now, nor the effect of the newest LED bulbs.
Listening to your query, I'm thinking this is just a matter of buying a wall dimmer switch that is designed to drive the new LED bulbs you have.
If the LED bulbs are less sensitive to the problems that were associated with the advent of the fluorescent bulbs, hopefully somebody else on this website will jump on and provide you
more complete information. Just wanted you to try to check into finding-out if the dimmer is compatible with the bulb you're using.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The linked LED driver is a 300mA constant-current type, so a dimmer won't work with it. You need to get a driver that is designed to be dimmable..

David Tinnes

Nov 17, 2015
Thanks.

Yeah I know that's the reason, I am just having trouble finding a driver that I know would work.

David Tinnes

Nov 17, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion, but I would really like it to be tied to the dimming of the ceiling lights..

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Understood, but the wall dimmer was not designed for these type of LED's (under cabinet low voltage). It was designed for lightbulbs originally. Then when incandescent started getting phased out, the replacement LED lightbulbs were fashioned into the standard shape and sizes to work with existing holders. At first the LED replacement bulbs were not dimmable, they have made great stride, but many still do not work properly with PLC devices.

To get the undermount LED you have to work with your existing wall dimmer you will need an interface between the two. Perhaps someone will be along shortly to cobble together a solution :)