i'm looking for a harman kardon balance pot

you sure it's the balance control ??

the PCB markings indicate that it is a dual pot VR201/202

the balance control in a stereo system will always be a single pot

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir 6six6 . . . . .

As Davenn said, it is a dual pot .....
This referencing does positively confirm that a counterpoised 50K dual pot is serving as the Harmless Kardon HK725 units balance control.

NOT that you are CONSTANTLY using that adjustment every day. I’ll just bet that your problems will all disappear just after you clean that control.

Initially beg for a used insulin syringe from diabetic ‘ole Granny Goodknockers down the street. Or drift on over to skid row . . . .they are AL L L L L L over the place, there !

Mark Up Reference:

r0s3piQ.png

Alcohol clean the syringe and dump in a cylinder full of control cleaner and I believe that my marked RED circles seem to indicate adequate clearance for that skinny needles passage.

If NOT, you can see that my BLUE circles indicate the visible two tabs of FOUR that hold the pots end discs on. That great of spacing away from these 4 holes, should let an inserted sewing needle create a slight flexure of the phenolic disc when put incrementally deep within a RED hole.
That increased extra little width should THEN let a needle in.

Immediately, just after a dump in of control cleaner rapidly run the control between extreme ends about eleventy seven times.

THEN . . . . . you repeat with the other section.
I think that will bring that controls functioning back to normal for another decade . . . (+)
(Might as well . . . do other frequently used controls while being down there in the trenches)

Do duly note that they have erroneously silk screened the VR202 volume control as being at that point also . . . not so . . . . Compare the additional phantom foil view of the board.

There are the 2 diagonal ground plane connections and the rotor and high side control connections, are going to their proper tie in components.

Thassssit . . .

73’s de Edd

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Think that must be the first time I have a dual pot used for a balance control

6six6

Apr 21, 2017
Sir 6six6 . . . . .

As Davenn said, it is a dual pot .....
This referencing does positively confirm that a counterpoised 50K dual pot is serving as the Harmless Kardon HK725 units balance control.

NOT that you are CONSTANTLY using that adjustment every day. I’ll just bet that your problems will all disappear just after you clean that control.

Initially beg for a used insulin syringe from diabetic ‘ole Granny Goodknockers down the street. Or drift on over to skid row . . . .they are AL L L L L L over the place, there !

Mark Up Reference:

r0s3piQ.png

Alcohol clean the syringe and dump in a cylinder full of control cleaner and I believe that my marked RED circles seem to indicate adequate clearance for that skinny needles passage.

If NOT, you can see that my BLUE circles indicate the visible two tabs of FOUR that hold the pots end discs on. That great of spacing away from these 4 holes, should let an inserted sewing needle create a slight flexure of the phenolic disc when put incrementally deep within a RED hole.
That increased extra little width should THEN let a needle in.

Immediately, just after a dump in of control cleaner rapidly run the control between extreme ends about eleventy seven times.

THEN . . . . . you repeat with the other section.
I think that will bring that controls functioning back to normal for another decade . . . (+)
(Might as well . . . do other frequently used controls while being down there in the trenches)

Do duly note that they have erroneously silk screened the VR202 volume control as being at that point also . . . not so . . . . Compare the additional phantom foil view of the board.

There are the 2 diagonal ground plane connections and the rotor and high side control connections, are going to their proper tie in components.

Thassssit . . .

73’s de Edd

Thank you ever so much, thats the best response i have ever read.
thank you for the valuable advice.
its almost inpossible to get any spare parts for this amp, i even wrote to HK, and they said google it.

6six6

Apr 21, 2017
front and inside image

Attachments

• 20170423_150223.jpg
    20170423_150223.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20170419_135732.jpg
    20170419_135732.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 74

6six6

Apr 21, 2017
just in case i need to replace it, is there a generic pot out there that anyone knows of.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir 6six6 . . . . .

with your additional submitted photos
Now I ask you . . .doesn't that front panel just exude subdued elegance ?
Also, I had just about forgotten about the presence of offset plastic actuator rods for the Schadow slide switches.

You sez . . . .
just in case i need to replace it, is there a generic pot out there that anyone knows of.

I sez . . . . .
In my 1 million + parts . . . lifetime parts accumulation . . . . I have some single element . . . USA made Aerospace / Military/HIGH end Commercial / Industrial . . . . . . versions of that pot style.
I would have to dig and find but, think it to be a CTS brand, you check me out and see if that /your pots shaft is being an 1/8 inch and its
threaded surround mount collar is probably being a 3/8 inch sizing.
With the balance knob having its small shaft hole also, instead of the normally expected, twice that diameter of shaft.
No extree charge . . . .

(You are a' peein' conversion . . . aka . . . metric . . . 1/8 inch = 3.1750 millipeters and 3/8 inch = 9.5250 millipeters )

If this proves to be true, the parts availability AND FINDING then becomes even more acute.
I
THINK that your good deep cleaning will solve . .(DO NOT use WD-40 ) . . since the unit is typically being a set it and forget it adjustment.
NOW look over to the end at the massive VOLUME CONTROL, which receives the REAL use, that is being one ve r r r r r r y SPECIAL puppy to find.

Thasssssit . . .

73's de Edd