Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help Please! Wiring a 12-Bit Joystick Controller

sim247

Jun 25, 2016
So I want to get the Leo Bodnar BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller but I am having a hard time to figure out how to wire this thing.

I want to use 6 push buttons (1 input) and 2 rotary encoders (2 input), I would maybe use 2 rotary encoders with a push button (2 + 1 input) instead of the rotary encoders with 2 inputs.

Thus; 6 push buttons (1) + 2 rotary encoders (2) = 10 buttons
6 push buttons (1) + 2 rotary encoders (2 + 1) = 12 buttons

This would not require me to do anything with matrix, as matrix is only needed when using more then 12 buttons I think.

I know about the columns and rows (well I think at least) but don't know how and were would I place the ground wire.

I was planning to use Leo Bodnar's "cable with 2 pin connector plug attached" but again i'm confused as someone told me and I quote "one of them is ground. You'll need to connect them to the same ground pin on the board". But as the "cable with 2 pin connector plug attached" has 2 connectors wouldn't that mean that the wires coming out of the buttons are used for a column and a row (ex; c1 + r1 = s1) ?

Can someone explain this in layman's terms as I am not knowledge able about this stuff but would really like to learn how to do it :)

PS; This will be used as a button plate / box on a real steering wheel connected to a g27 base via a quick release and powered by a db9 / vga connector

sim247