Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help RGB LEDs Keep Blowing The Control Box

spahr50cal

May 26, 2017
im currently on my second rgb led strip control box. im using RGB 5050 strips about 14' total but not continues(soldered together separably). thsi is the second box that blew and wont work right and this time i know everything was wired right. i cant seem to figure out whats going wrong. do these need fused? im using a 300w psu(converted for power 12v14a) but its running a stereo as well. can anyone recommend something or a control box that will last preferably under $10-15. its starting to be the worst idea ever for my pc lighting.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You may be overloading the controller.

Even if it seems to allow (say) a 15A load, it may not be constructed well enough to allow that continuously.

spahr50cal

May 26, 2017
You may be overloading the controller.

Even if it seems to allow (say) a 15A load, it may not be constructed well enough to allow that continuously.
the original power supply that came with it was 12vdc 5a but i never used it, would you recommend fusing the 14a line i have running to it? also i did get hot last time it blew even being in a fan cooled case, these are on about 16-18hrs a day so im wondering it the aluminum control box i saw might work better https://www.amazon.com/12V-24V-44Ke...qid=1497264489&sr=8-4&keywords=rgb+controller

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
So you're using 3 RGB strips, correct? With one controller which was made to control 1 RGB strip?
If so, there's your problem. One strip is made to run from USB power (not more than 500ma.)
Three would take 1.5 amps. The controller that came with the strip would not logically be built to handle that much current (costs more, why do it?) The 20 amp controller from Amazon should handle the load easily.

spahr50cal

May 26, 2017
So you're using 3 RGB strips, correct? With one controller which was made to control 1 RGB strip?
If so, there's your problem. One strip is made to run from USB power (not more than 500ma.)
Three would take 1.5 amps. The controller that came with the strip would not logically be built to handle that much current (costs more, why do it?) The 20 amp controller from Amazon should handle the load easily.
i have 3 conections fro the strips the strips i have were 16m then cut into segments so i could mount them on my pc and monitor so about 14' total, the transformer it came with was not usb it was 120vac- 12vdc 5a but yeah the other box is probly gonna work better.

itsjustrai

Jan 23, 2021
hello, i badly needed an advice. i do not know anything about this and kind of scared on whats gonna happen. so i have this rgb led strip, i left it on for like 6 hours cause i fell asleep. some minute after i woke up, i turned off the lights using the power off using the control but didnt plugged out the extensions, after some time something blew up and the strip turned its light. i dont know what happened thats why i hurriedly plugged out its extensions. and when im turning it back on, it wont turn on. i just seem not to know the problem. i dont know if it will be fixed or i should replace something. someone please help me.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You should replace the controller and disconnect from mains rather than use the controller switch.
Or buy a better quality controller that can be trusted.

Martin

itsjustrai

Jan 23, 2021
You should replace the controller and disconnect from mains rather than use the controller switch.
Or buy a better quality controller that can be trusted.

i already bought a new one, but it still wont work. i really dont know what to do. i dont know whats wrong and i dont know how to solve this. someone pls help me :((

Last edited by a moderator:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Without knowing your setup, 3 things can be at fault.
1. Power adaptor (if it has one).
2. Control box
3. LED strip

You replaced the control box so leaves only 2 more things that can be faulty.
If it doesn’t have a power adapter, that leaves only 1 item, the LED strip.

Martin