Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help - Technics CD Player stuck

metallicafnv

Aug 18, 2021
Hello,

I have a Technics CD Player SL-PG340 that I bought new 25+ years ago. I used to play many CDs years ago, but for the past 3-4 years I didn't use it.

Now, it still "works". It reads all my CDs, all button works as they should, all is good until I press the eject button. If there's no CD inside, the CD tray comes out when I press the eject button. However, if there's a CD inside, the tray gets jammed.

I've removed the top cover of the CD player and the one from the actual optical unit (the metal shield that's above the CD).

Without the top cover on, when I press the eject button, the CD is lowered with the metal shield, but the tray stays closed. During this time you can hear the mechanics doing something within the unit until it stops and the CD is raised again.

I found out that the CD gets stuck on that rubber ring (clamp?) below the metal shield. I've unscrewed the 3 screws from the metal shield and I've managed to peel the CD off of that part. Now, I'm not sure how it's supposed to be, but that rubber is no longer like normal rubber material. Now it's sticky and the CD stays there glued.

Everything else seems fine, the belt is still there and looks fine, the rails are clean and lubricated, and the laser is clean and works perfectly.

Has anyone got any ideas what might be the problem and how I can fix it if possible? Any insight/help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Dave

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Photos of the affected part(s) will be helpful.
Meanwhile, your description sounds like the elastomer (rubber) of the pickup has dissolved with time. Try to get a replacement spindle hub. If you can't get one, try to remove the remains of the rubber carefully and completely, Then glue on a new thin sheet of rubber cut to match the dimensions of the spindle hub.

Here's a comprehensive list of CD player failure modes and repair.

metallicafnv

Aug 18, 2021
Here's a photo of the CD that is glued on the rubber of the pickup. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_40441.png
    IMG_40441.png
    774 KB · Views: 8

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As a first aid cleaning the spindle hub with alcohol may temporarily help, but in the long term the elastomer will start to become sticky again unless you replace it.
Other opinions are welcome.

metallicafnv

Aug 18, 2021
I've tried to clean the spindle hub with rubbing alcohol, but after that pieces of elastomer start to fall off. After it dries, it's still sticky.