Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help to ID capacitor

PA_Kettle

Mar 9, 2022
I'm looking to replace some cheap Chinese caps. What I have is a small orange square cap 5mmx5mm with two leads extending downward. It is marked 0.1 and below that is marked K 100. I think I've found what I need from a domestic vendor. The cap is made by KEMET and the part number is C322C104K1R5TA.
The description is
CAP CER 0.1UF 100V X7R RADIAL

I don't know if a link to a commercial website is permitted.

Thanks to all.

PA_Kettle

Mar 9, 2022
ummm yeah, are they faulty ?

old saying ...
""if it aint broke , don't fix it!""

I don't always agree with that sentiment. I would not use counterfeit parts to repair my car. I want a known brand that I have confidence in and some notion of service life. I don't know the parts will fail, but why take the chance? No anti Chinese bias, just want to know what I'm using. A mere personal preference.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I don't always agree with that sentiment. I would not use counterfeit parts to repair my car. I want a known brand that I have confidence in and some notion of service life.

To a point. The type of capacitor you refer to has no particular history of developing faults-in-use (that I've ever heard of). Typical capacitor issues revolve around electrolytic types that are commonly the cause of SMPS failure and other supply-related issues in older equipment and they are indeed swapped out for more reliable devices.

If you suspect the parts are counterfeit (I don't know how - many (most) components are manufactured in China these days anyway) then they usually have tolerance issues i.e. way out of their stated value. Have you measured/tested any of the 'suspect' devices?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I don't always agree with that sentiment. I would not use counterfeit parts to repair my car. I want a known brand that I have confidence in and some notion of service life. I don't know the parts will fail, but why take the chance?

Around 75% of electronics is made in China these days and that that isnt , for the most part, uses parts manufactured in China.

I work as an electronics tech for a local dealer of a huge USA corporation .... If everything that used electronic parts or complete
assemblies that were manuf. in China, my job would cease to be.
In general, the gear is pretty reliable, electronics fail, regardless of what country the parts or units are made in
A large portion of gear failures is engineering design flaws by the USA design team
#1 failure mechanism across several pieces of gear ..... water tight seals that are not

PA_Kettle

Mar 9, 2022
All I did was ask a simple yes or no question. Had no idea I was violating some arbitrary protocol. Well, I learned my lesson. Go elsewhere for info. And no, no one ever answered the question.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Here is a page from Mouser for the part:
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/C322C104K1R5TA?qs=bj9urr5MP/L1an4soHFd0Q==
Mouser is a respected seller.
There is a clear datasheet on the given page.

Also from the page about the brand:
Ceramic Capacitors

KEMET Electronics Ceramic Capacitors provide solutions for commercial, automotive, industrial, energy, and defense and aerospace applications.
These devices feature Class I, Class II, and Class III dielectrics and several form factors, including surface mount, through hole, and lead attach.
KEMET Ceramic Capacitors are available in a variety of grades, case sizes, voltages, and operating temperatures.

Bertus

PA_Kettle

Mar 9, 2022
Hello,

Here is a page from Mouser for the part:
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/C322C104K1R5TA?qs=bj9urr5MP/L1an4soHFd0Q==
Mouser is a respected seller.
There is a clear datasheet on the given page.

Also from the page about the brand:
Ceramic Capacitors

KEMET Electronics Ceramic Capacitors provide solutions for commercial, automotive, industrial, energy, and defense and aerospace applications.
These devices feature Class I, Class II, and Class III dielectrics and several form factors, including surface mount, through hole, and lead attach.
KEMET Ceramic Capacitors are available in a variety of grades, case sizes, voltages, and operating temperatures.

Bertus

Thank you very much for your kind rely, very helpful.
Ed