Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP. transmit a wireless signal to

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
Hi all. I'm new to this group and with electronics I've not got great history. Either way I'm trying to develop something and all is going well but need to find the next crucial pieces to a puzzle.
Basically what I'm trying to do is use a 12v dc positive supply to signal a transmitter to send a signal about 10meters to a reciever. That will then turn on the desired output. Also need it to do this on 5+channels. Then when the 12v signal is turned off turn of the selected channel
I've looked into adrienos and to be honest didn't understand a thing.
Can anyone help?
I'm not looking for a 5channel remote control as is on ebay with the little key fob thing. Many thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would have recommended a remote control module from eBay, but you don't want that.

Perhaps you have a local hobby shop that sells remote control modules or something similar.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm not looking for a 5channel remote control as is on ebay with the little key fob thing. Many thanks

so what do you have against them ? they are ideal and made for your purpose

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
so what do you have against them ? they are ideal and made for your purpose
Hi guys. thankyou for replying. its not that i have anything against the remote controlls its purely i need to be able to operate the system from 12v switched signals and not via push buttons. im concidering buying one of the 6ch 12v remotes from ebay and taking it apart to see if the buttons can be removed and if a 12v input could be wired into each button instead would yhat work? or would each 12v input need to have resostors put in to lover the amps?. i think the 12v input is probly about 5 amps per channel? .

Bill Cooper

Nov 15, 2016
If anything you buy from Ebay actually works, you'll probably find the switches are wired in a matrix and therefore not suitable for your purpose. The voltage levels involved will be small possible less than 1 volt. Using voltmeter won't help if the keys are 'matrix scanned'.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
We lover amps here without resistors. But let's not talk about that.

Do you have a constant 12V as well as the switched 12V?

You would have to see how the buttons are wired in, but simulating a key press is way easier than building a multi channel transmitter and receiver.

Is it possible for more than one of your switched sources to be on at once?

So you want just a brief signal when the Switched 12V goes on, or a continuous signal while it's on?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If anything you buy from Ebay actually works, you'll probably find the switches are wired in a matrix and therefore not suitable for your purpose.

for 1 - 4 channel units they are usually non-matrixed switches and should be quite suitable

The voltage levels involved will be small possible less than 1 volt.

I have no idea what you are referring to ????

Bill Cooper

Nov 15, 2016
for 1 - 4 channel units they are usually non-matrixed switches and should be quite suitable

I have no idea what you are referring to ????
If the keys are 'scanned' then each key will receive a short pulse, if you try to measure this with a voltmeter then it will only read the average voltage which will appear minute :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If the keys are 'scanned' then each key will receive a short pulse, if you try to measure this with a voltmeter then it will only read the average voltage which will appear minute

Yeah, but that's not really relevant to whether or not you can place (say) a mosfet across the switch.

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
We lover amps here without resistors. But let's not talk about that.

Do you have a constant 12V as well as the switched 12V?

You would have to see how the buttons are wired in, but simulating a key press is way easier than building a multi channel transmitter and receiver.

Is it possible for more than one of your switched sources to be on at once?

So you want just a brief signal when the Switched 12V goes on, or a continuous signal while it's on?
Hi steve. at present there is a constant earth supply on the 12v circuit and 6 switched lives. i could however easily have a constant 12v live if i absolutly needed to to make it work but generally it would be a permanent earth and 6 switched lives. the lives i want to transmit the signal from would vary in length they are turned on for. for example one can be on for long periods (hours) while others can be 1-30seconds. and yes they would be used simultaniously. so up to possibly 5 turn on requests could be needed at any one time. at worst case. odviously not all turned on at once but within seconds of one another. eg if i had a light on i may need to use one or more during the first lights opperation if you get my drift.

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
If anything you buy from Ebay actually works, you'll probably find the switches are wired in a matrix and therefore not suitable for your purpose. The voltage levels involved will be small possible less than 1 volt. Using voltmeter won't help if the keys are 'matrix scanned'.
This was my fear. i dont understand the matrixed bit but was expecting the buttons may run on a tiny voltage inside the board. im thinking that plan may be not a good idea. but im struggling to find anything over a 4 channel rf transmitter that can be hard wired. or anythung that can run 12v?.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So you want to send a stop signal when the switched 12V gets switched off?

Can the switching on and off occur simultaneously (or within a very small period of time? E.g. Two 12V lines switched on within 10ms of each other, or one line being switched on simultaneously with another switching off?

Don't worry about Bill's concerns just yet. They may sound concerning but I'm not convinced they are particularly important (especially at this stage)

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
So you want to send a stop signal when the switched 12V gets switched off?

Can the switching on and off occur simultaneously (or within a very small period of time? E.g. Two 12V lines switched on within 10ms of each other, or one line being switched on simultaneously with another switching off?

Don't worry about Bill's concerns just yet. They may sound concerning but I'm not convinced they are particularly important (especially at this stage)
Hi steve.
I think ive not explained it very well. the 6 input wires are dead (no power) generally. then when the button is pressed they go live for all the time the button is pressed. as in push to make switch scinario. it is at its live state that i need the on signal transmitted all the time it recieves a live feed. When the switch is released the wire will return to 0v the turn off signal then needs to be sent. one channel can be for a long time and the others generally shorter.
It is extremly unlikely two channels will be excited exactly at the same time but it is likely that they will be used overlapping. so if i have one light on for say an hour. it is likely i will use the others in conjuction with it. it is unlikly to ever have all the channels going at once but but think it shoild be built to handle it if it is ever needed. many thanks steve :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok. If a button press turns on the device, what turns it off?

Is it another button press (of the same button) or something else?

If you have a push once to turn on, push again to turn off situation, what happens if the system gets out of sync? I'd it a human pushing the button (who can push it again if needed) or is it some other case where the state absolutely must be correct?

I am leaning toward a solution where power will be required permanently at both ends, but there still may be a simpler option.

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016

If you have a push once to turn on, push again to turn off situation, what happens if the system gets out of sync? I'd it a human pushing the button (who can push it again if needed) or is it some other case where the state absolutely must be correct?

I am leaning toward a solution where power will be required permanently at both ends, but there still may be a simpler option.
I was rather hoping that what ever transmitting device notices that the input 12v signal is gone it would turn off the transmitted signal itself?. everything operates on a push to make type switch, so once the switch is released the signal to be on is gone. or if nessasary the transmitter can send one turn on signal and a turn off signal once the button is released.
There is the option for it to run with 12v power readily available both ends if needed.

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016

Oh and the buttons will not be the latching type where you press once to turn on and once to turn off.. it is purely only on all the time it is held down. when you let off the 12v stops

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So someone holds a button down for hours?

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
For the purpose of this project yes. a button is in the pressed position for an unlimmeted time. if you knew what it was for you would completly understand i assure you. however dont want to give too much away. for the securith of my projecf idea.

simoncharler

Nov 13, 2016
Its just not possible in this scinario to have one press to turn on and one to turn off. its got to be a way that when the input 12v is lost the transmitter ends the hold on signal or itself if nesccasary sends the turn off signal.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
For the purpose of this project yes. a button is in the pressed position for an unlimmeted time. if you knew what it was for you would completly understand i assure you. however dont want to give too much away. for the securith of my projecf idea.

if you are unwilling to help us help you.
then the thread is closed

nothing annoys me more than responses like this
thanks so much for wasting everyone's time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.