Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help 'tricking' a light sensor. What is this sensor? for car auto headlights

chris duluk

Jan 21, 2016
hi all:

I need some help identifying some light sensors.
I want to 'trick' my car into thinking it's always dark out so the auto-headlights stay ON all the time. If i simply leave the switch in the ON position, the headlights will stay on all the time as i desire, but if i forget to switch it off before exiting the car, the headlights will stay on all day and drain my battery. ONLY when the switch is in the AUTO position will the headlights turn off when i turn the car off.

My goal was to find the light sensor and simply cover it with black paint or something. But unfortunately, the auto-headlight ambient light sensor is BUILT-IN with the auto-windshield wiper sensor adhered to the windshield. I took it apart figuring i would find two separate sensors (one for headlights and one for wipers), but i can't tell what controls what. If i cover the entire part, i achieve my desired results for headlights, but the car thinks it's always raining out.

Here's what the sensor looks like from the outside.

166hs9u.jpg

I took the sensor apart but didn't take an actual picture of the circuit board before putting it back together. But i 'remember' what it looked like, somewhat. I made this quick diagram to show the main components on the board. These are NOT actual pictures, they're from memory.

23sjjb6.png

So here's what i need help with. What are all of these components?

I know how the auto-wipers system works. The two infrared LEDs shine light at an angle towards the windshield. With no rain on the glass, all of the light shines back onto the light sensors. When rain is on the glass, some of the light is sent out in different directions and less light makes it back to the sensors.

Can you tell which components control the auto-wipers and which ones control day/night for the headlights? Could it be that the same sensors that sense rain also sense ambient light?

Thanks for the help!!

-Chris

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Isn't modern technology great?
Why don't you call the car dealer and ask them.
When they sell to rental car places, they rig the cars so that the headlights stay on all the time.
It probably isn't difficult, maybe even a command to the computer.
If you keep hacking without knowing exactly what-all is affected, you might end-up with an expensive car repair bill on fixing the electronics.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Usually the lights will time out and shut off when the ignition switch is turn off.

If not, I'd opt to turn off power to the lights by cutting power to the control relay. This could be achieved by moving the wire that supplies power to your lighting from an always on 12v, to an ignition switched 12v.
The caveat you may run into is the cpu (computer) often monitors circuits for current flow could send a warning fault because its sending an output to turn on the lights, but it does not read feedback that the lights are actually on.