Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with a Cool Project Involving a Masquerade

Veronika

Sep 16, 2015
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could lend some ideas for a project I'm working on.

I am creating a mask for a masquerade party and I want the eyes to light up. I am going to cover the eye openings with tinted plastic and then I want to flood the eyes with light behind the tinted plastic. I don't think standard LEDs are going to work here as the light is too directional and really only comes out bright enough from the top. I think the light source needs to come from the sides of the eyes. Maybe only one or two sides of each eye.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good way to evenly light up some eyes?!

Thanks in advance to all who give any time on this.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hi and welcome to electronicspoint.

As you want the light to come from the side, you may want to use more than one LED (e.g. 4,, one on top, bottom, left and right) on the sides of the eye opening. To reduce the directional effect of the LEDs, use sandpaper to roughen the surface of the LEDs. This will distribute the light in all directions.
Use aluminum foil to mirror light that shines to the sides and the back towards the front (opening) of your mask.
Mount the LEDs such that they are oriented to the side
This is a schematic of what I tried to express verbally:
mask-png.21994

Note that LEDs cannot be connected directly to a battery, some current limiting is required. Read more here.

Also note that you need to protect your eyes from the LED's light. Think of a kind of opaque shield that lets the light flood outward only.

Attachments

• Mask.png
    Mask.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 138

Veronika

Sep 16, 2015
Thank you so much Harald!!! I will try this out and let you know how it worked. I really appreciate your time. Thank you thank you. :)