Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help with a pair of 10W computer speakers

Tom Nixon

Sep 19, 2014
as i mentioned earlier i dont want it as part of a surround sound system, more of a mobile speaker system for when i go away

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
more of a mobile speaker system for when i go away ??

Tom Nixon

Sep 19, 2014
i mean whenever i go on holiday, i have a surround sound system at home, but sometimes when i go on holiday i bring my TV and PS3 with me, not a terribly clever idea but still, so i wanted something to act as the TV speakers (because lets be honest the TV speakers are terrible) so i thought i'd make a small speaker box out of a pair of computer speakers and an extra couple of speakers which also acts as a stand for the TV

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
i mean whenever i go on holiday, i have a surround sound system at home, but sometimes when i go on holiday i bring my TV and PS3 with me, not a terribly clever idea but still, so i wanted something to act as the TV speakers (because lets be honest the TV speakers are terrible) so i thought i'd make a small speaker box out of a pair of computer speakers and an extra couple of speakers which also acts as a stand for the TV
Tom, What kind of budget are you on, and what kind of electronics experience do you have?

Many computer speakers are kind of poor when it comes to volume and clarity unless you splurge a little... Avoid anything powered by USB as that is a MAJOR limitation.
Can you elaborate on the size of the speaker boxes you will be making? If size allows, you could hook up on old car head-unit that has an Aux-Input. You would power it with a desktop computer power supply. You could wire the two front speakers into the TV stand box, and have two satellite speaker boxes for the rear that you could place anywhere you want. This would get you much more power and volume than trying to tack on speakers to a stereo set of computer speakers.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Gryd3 has covered some of the important reasons as to why I was encouraging you to look into a TV surround sound system

OK, so you want to take it on holiday with you etc ... you don't have to pack up the whole system to do that ...
you would only need to take the amp unit and a couple of the speakers ... as many or few as you like
which ever way, its going to give you a substantially better sounding system that trying to modify the existing unit you have

we are all just trying to give you the best options within affordable and practical limits :)

cheers
Dave

Tom Nixon

Sep 19, 2014
that is a wonderful idea, not entirely sure where to get this "head-unit" you spoke of and as for the box, it's only going to be a small box, and the reason i was going to use USB, was because i could power the unit through my PS3

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The problem with USB powering is that there is, as I stated a few posts ago, only very low voltage and current available
that means that you cannot produce any significant power ... around 5W absolute max minus circuit losses. So a couple of watts per channel

Dave

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
that is a wonderful idea, not entirely sure where to get this "head-unit" you spoke of and as for the box, it's only going to be a small box, and the reason i was going to use USB, was because i could power the unit through my PS3
The Head-unit I'm referring to is the dash-mounted car stereo. You can get them from wrecks in a wrecker, buy used online, or buy new at a retail outlet.
The only requirement is that is has Auxiliary input, which must be a 3.5mm jack, or the Left/Right RCA jacks.
The sizes are typically 'DIN' which is a 7" x 2" cutout.
The computer power supply would be housed in the same box, and depending on the speakers you are using, the box would probably end up being in the ball-park of 2ft wide, 8" tall, and 8" deep. You could make it bigger if you want.

Tom Nixon

Sep 19, 2014
ok i've just researched what you suggested, but here's the thing, how would i power this? and more importantly how would i connect the speakers?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
ok i've just researched what you suggested, but here's the thing, how would i power this? and more importantly how would i connect the speakers?
My understanding is that you would take it with you on trips, and it would double as a TV stand. If I misunderstood I apologize.

The computer power supply plugs in the wall, then the black and yellow wires from the power supply will provide 12V to the car audio amp or head-unit.
The head-unit has 4 sets of wires that you could directly connect to the speakers in the same box that holds the power supply and head-unit. (That would be the tv stand)
Additional speakers could be added with regular speaker wire and speaker box terminals.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=spea...736#tbm=isch&q=speaker+box+terminals&imgdii=_