Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Arduino project

Thedreezo

Jul 19, 2020
Hi there I’m new to this forum,

recently our STEM teacher gave us a challenge to make a motion sensor stop watch timer with Arduino parts.

i have no idea what to do, but I do have some materials. I have a Fingerprint sensor module, an LED matrix display, and a mega prototype board shield.

Can you guys help me try and build this project, or suggest me some guidance?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Might be best to approach the Arduino forum although they will want you to provide details on what you have already tried.

For simplicity and cost, maybe better to start with an Arduino Uno (clone gear is fine, all works ok) and a small pir sensor (same elcheapo off Ebay or whatever) a breadboard and some jumper cables.

There will be some small examples of timers in the examples of the IDE and again for a cheap display perhaps go for an i2C 16x2 lcd.
i2C as it only requires the SDA and SCL lines and 5V power and the cost is not that much more than a standard 16x2 display.

Start with getting say the display to work with some simple code, then do the pir sensor, then timers and finally bring it all together.

Motion sensor (pir) .........https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HC-SR50...m2f125e3c32:g:5wwAAOSwVNxaTJPY&frcectupt=true

display .......https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PCS-LC...983178?hash=item1f1027160a:g:X0gAAOSwWvtdnwdb

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@Thedreezo : To get you started:
First thing you need to do is to get a clear understanding of what you want to do. Your description is way too general.
Ask yourself questions (and answer them) e.g.
  • what kind of motion do I want to detect?
  • What is my condition for starting the timer?
  • What is my condition for stopping the timer?
  • How can I detect these conditions with the available material?
  • What additional material (e.g. sensors) do I possibly need? (maybe none, maybe quite a few)
  • What resolution do I expect from my timer (ns, ms, s, m, h,...) and what range do I have to cover?
The basic setup for your project will be:
  • sensor input to Arduino to start and stop the timer
  • output from the Arduino to display the time on the matrix display
  • program code to read the sensor(s), perform the timer function and output display data

To build the timer/clock:
A clock with Arduino using a matrix display is showcased e.g. here.
Easily adaptable to the kind of Arduino you have.
All you need to do is to use the sensor(s) to start the clock at 00:00 and stop it when the stop condition has been reached.