Help with basic counter circuit

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Read the entire page, including this paragraph:

2-digit BCD Counter from 00 to 99

ak

thebouljello

Aug 16, 2016
I read everything and it seems fine, but the comments at the bottom said that the circuit doesn't work. I should have mentioned the comments in the first post. I haven't built the circuit yet but I ordered the parts.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
In the 2-digit counter schematic, the switch is not in the best place. But that is discussed in the response. Other people say there are problems but give no details, so ignore them.

To your original question, which 4-digit display? Some are internally connected for a multiplex drive. The clue is a display with 28 or 32 segments but only a dozen pins. If this is what you want to use, the circuits on this page are an incomplete starting point. Creating a multiplexed circuit from basic 7400 logic is possible, but tedious. There are multi-digit counter chips with the multiplexing built-in. So, what is it you want to do?

ak

thebouljello

Aug 16, 2016
Looking at the final 4 bit counter circuit, I simply wanted to replace the single digit display with a common anode four digit display with the same pinout. There are all kinds of seven segment displays on ebay, but not many of them have datasheets. I was assuming that any common anode display with the same number of pins would work.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
4 bits is only enough signals to drive one digit, so your question about a 4-digit display is not clear. It would show only one digit.

ak