Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help with dynamo on treadmill.

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
Hey guys it's me again. I pulled a stationary exercise bike from the trash and it was one of those ones with a little dynamo on it so when you pedal it empowers the circuitry Etc. Well the Dynamo has multiple contacts and I can get positive from a few of them and negative from a few of them and no matter how hard I pedal I can never generate more than a volt. Is the Dynamo broken or am I just not using the correct contacts for my positive and negative or is somehow being disconnected from the circuitry preventing its power generation? if we fix it, I'll make a bike where you pedal to generate electricity to power a motor which turns a wheel cause that would be terrrible. here's a pic20201120_091634-1.jpg

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I don’t think that’s a dynamo powered circuit.
What voltage it written on the cap behind the heatsink?.
Also what is written on the devices mounted to both heat sinks?

Martin

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Pharaday . . . . .(shield)

I see the smaller heat sink that has a ? X?X?X ? CT mounted on it, which I take as being a 3 term regulator to power the PCB's one DIP I.C. and any other electronics.
You seem to have none of the gens frontal wires being now conected to the PCB ? ? ? thereby no field coil activation.
Can you connect it all back up as original.
Looks like there might be power diodes and / or semiconductors on the HUGE heat sink that then passes the generators outputted voltage into them and then pulse width control ( you optionally set it ) permits dumping power into the almost dead short load of the low resistance WHITE POWER resistor.
The degree of adjustable loading then relates to developed pedal mechanical restraint.
You should be able to unsolder the two RED leads and use them referenced to ground to get the outputted power that you are looking for.
Then see if that power level is enough . . . . . .with you putting . . . . EVERYTHING WHAT LIKES YOU GOTS ! + 2 BIG cahones . . . you might get 50 -75 watts out of it.
Come back with Sir Martaines requested E-caps voltage spec also.

73's de Edd . . . . .

upload_2020-11-20_14-7-15.png

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Oh Ed, where do you find those crazy/great/funny things you finish your posts with?.
I can’t read your posts after midnight or I won’t sleep for laughing!.

Martin

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
Okay the capacitor is 35 volts. The little heat sink has LM 7808 CT. the big heat sink has a MT P3 0N05E R131, I don't recognize that one so I don't know which numbers were important.

Yes I thought that to detect the voltage that I might have to disconnect it from the circuit but I can easily place the wires back where they go.

It also required a 9-volt battery up by the digital readout and it must be a Dynamo because the instructions say to Pedal fast and then hit the power button.

There are four red wires and I was able to detect a small amount of voltage out of one pair only. Do you mean I need to connect all the wires back and then I can detect the voltage out of two of the red wires?

I'm not trying to fix this or go for a specific number of volts, I just know that when I spin a regular motor I can easily get at least 4 volts with my hands but this one struggles to get one volt with my legs so something's got to be up

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Pushing doo doo uphill trying to get any usable human generated power out of that thing.

One fact you may or may not know, adult can produce approx. 1/8hp max. and for a very limited time.

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
well that's kinda the point of converting mechanical energy to electrical energy back to mechanical energy. Engineering the Absurd. also there's lots of neat reasons to have a little pedal you can generate power with. I'll just replace that Dynamo with a motor that I'm sure I could get some volts out of unless one of y'all tell me it's not broken but to an extent , yes, mankind is not benefiting from this.

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
Wow forum stumped again. Hey this is difficult stuff, afterall. Chins up lads!