Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Female Jack barrel replacement

Just Doodle

Jan 13, 2018
Hi

I have some LED Christmas lights where the Transformer female Jack barrel connection has broken. Inside the transformer the UK 3 Pin Plug has no wire attached to the earth (longest pin).

The connections of the existing Female jack connector has two solder points, but the new replacement parts have three.

Which of the three point do I use to solder on please?

I have enclosed pictures

Many Thanks For Your Help

20180117_094005.jpg 20180117_094012.jpg 20180117_094100.jpg 20180117_094120.jpg 20180117_094227.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Just Doodle . . . .

Oh boy . . . do you have an easy one there.

Referring to the very last photo . . . . you see the terminal associated with the rivet which is the connection going to the very central round rod terminal.

That will be receiving EITHER one of your 24VAC wires (WHITES? ) from the transformer secondary.

The other side staggered terminals are actually the two terminals that go inside and make a leaf switch.
When there is no male power plug inserted, they are touching and making a closed circuit to each other.
When a plug is inserted they spread apart and make an open circuit between each other.
This is all related to DC switching, to be able to switch between battery or the wall warts use for power.
All is simply differentiated by the presence of a plug or no plug being inserted.

In YOUR case, all of this does not concern you, since you are using 24 VAC . . .so your OTHER 24 VAC wire just gets inserted between both of those terminals and soldered.

You are then in business.
(Excluding a successful test . . . and then getting your newly formed clam shell case back together again )

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Just Doodle

Jan 13, 2018
Sir Just Doodle . . . .

Oh boy . . . do you have an easy one there.

Referring to the very last photo . . . . you see the terminal associated with the rivet which is the connection going to the very central round rod terminal.

That will be receiving EITHER one of your 24VAC wires (WHITES? ) from the transformer secondary.

The other side staggered terminals are actually the two terminals that go inside and make a leaf switch.
When there is no male power plug inserted, they are touching and making a closed circuit to each other.
When a plug is inserted they spread apart and make an open circuit between each other.
This is all related to DC switching, to be able to switch between battery or the wall warts use for power.
All is simply differentiated by the presence of a plug or no plug being inserted.

In YOUR case, all of this does not concern you, since you are using 24 VAC . . .so your OTHER 24 VAC wire just gets inserted between both of those terminals and soldered.

You are then in business.
(Excluding a successful test . . . and then getting your newly formed clam shell case back together again )

73's de Edd

Just Doodle

Jan 13, 2018
Many Thanks For you detailed reply as you can guess I know very little so it is appreciated. So may i ask does it matter which way I solder the white wires to the terminals? I have uploaded a pic of my intention.

ThanksInked20180117_094227_LI.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
YOU got it !
The right arrow receives any ONE of the wires and is soldered .
The left arrow has the OTHER wire looping up thru both holes of the terminals and gets soldered to both . . . . making double redundancy.

USE a re flow soldering technique . . . wherein you individually solder tin the bare exposed 3/8 inch ? end of both the wires and then solder tin the individual 3 terminals with the holes . . . possibly needing a toothpick to pierce a hole within a terminal hole that might overflow with solder.
Pierce while the solder is still hot and flowable, then pull out while still being at its still plastic, cool down transition.

Place the tinned wires in their perspective holes and then reheat and add a drop of solder and they should then just meld together effortlessly.
Hold wire to terminal PERFECTLY still until completely cooled down. . . . usually just a 1-2-3-4-5 count.

73's de Edd

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The transfomer shows a square within a square, this means it is double insulated and does not need an earth connection hence the earth pin in the plug is not wired up.

Just Doodle

Jan 13, 2018
YOU got it !
The right arrow receives any ONE of the wires and is soldered .
The left arrow has the OTHER wire looping up thru both holes of the terminals and gets soldered to both . . . . making double redundancy.

USE a re flow soldering technique . . . wherein you individually solder tin the bare exposed 3/8 inch ? end of both the wires and then solder tin the individual 3 terminals with the holes . . . possibly needing a toothpick to pierce a hole within a terminal hole that might overflow with solder.
Pierce while the solder is still hot and flowable, then pull out while still being at its still plastic, cool down transition.

Place the tinned wires in their perspective holes and then reheat and add a drop of solder and they should then just meld together effortlessly.
Hold wire to terminal PERFECTLY still until completely cooled down. . . . usually just a 1-2-3-4-5 count.

73's de Edd
73's de Edd

Thank you for your soldering advice. There is no way I would have know to do that. I understood it perfectly makes total sense. Cheers for taking the time out explaining this.