Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Fisher Amp Dropping Channels (CA 283)

wmshay6

Nov 9, 2010
I have a Fisher CA 283 Amp that I am trying to fix. It is in my garage (inside a cabinet so not excessively dusty). The problem is that it will intermittently drop both the L & R channels. Not both at once, independently. Time or a slap to the top will usually fix the problem.

Based on what I am reading, It appears a bad solder on the board or a component needs to be replaced.

Can anyone shed some light on where I should begin looking to solve the problem?

I am handy with a soldering iron as I deal with miniature electronics for model trains. Don't have much $$ in the receiver and it's pretty much useless as is, so I've got nothing to lose by trying to fix it.

Some previous reading indicted that maybe some of the cans on the board might need to be replaced.

Thanks for any and all help! Does anyone have a diagram for this antique?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You could open up the amplifier and gently prod things with an insulated prod (say a wooden or plastic chopstick). See if there is anywhere that is sensitive.

If you find such a place, turn off the power and re-solder all the connections near that point (you just need to touch the iron on each joint -- maybe add a little solder).

You could also have a crack in a printed circuit board or even a device coming out of a socket.

Just don't electrocute yourself.

theresalwaysthehammer

Nov 5, 2010
What are the controls like? I've often seen stereo channel drop outs where the input selector switch or volume pot is dirty
Do any of the controls make crackling noises?
If it is dirty switches just use contact cleaner

wmshay6

Nov 9, 2010
Controls are Solid State

The controls are push button- no pots to speak of.

The speakers were hooked into the "A" set. Last night I changed to the "B" side. Still no change.

I guess next I'll pull the cover and look for bad solder joints.