Help with huge LED circuits

chiragjn

Feb 24, 2014
i am arranging 30-40 leds for a project
so parallel connections between them is the obvious choice
i am using 1.8V 20mA LEDs
and power supply is through AC to 1.5V-12V DC adapter

the circuit looks like railway tracks
|--------|----------|-----------|-----------|-----..(more LEDs in between)...|----positive terminal of battery
|--------|----------|-----------|-----------|-----..(more LEDs in between)...|----negative terminal of battery

where
| are LEDs
|
and -------- is single stranded copper wire

so if i supply 1.5V with all LEDs in parallel, will i need to connect resistors?Also what about resistance of single stranded wire?
i need to make quick connections as i have to make many such linear one dimesional arrays, so i am looking forward to not to connect any resistors.

please help me with selecting proper voltage value and proper circuit connections :confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You are much better off using a higher voltage and series / parallel connections. If you connect all of them in parallel, then the current required is 40 x 20mA = 800mA .
Whereas, if you use say 12V and put 5 LEDs in each series string it is only 8 x 20mA = 160mA. Each series string would require a resistor that drops the difference in the sum of the forward voltages and the supply voltage at the design current.

See this tutorial for lots of info:

https://www.electronicspoint.com/got-question-driving-leds-t256849.html

Bob

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
In addition to Bob's recommendation: Not all LEDs are exactly equal. Small differences in the characteristics will lead to an uneven distribution of the current and uneven lighting will result.
Besides: LEDs are not operated on a defined voltage, they are operated on a defined current (as explained in the tutorial Bob linked). Therefore any combination (be it series, parallel or mixed) connected to a voltage source without some current limiting (resistor) runs a risk of frying the LEds by too much current. You need some form of current limitation, the easiest being a series resistor.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Connecting too many in series might not be acceptable if one LED goes OC then the whole string goes out. And too many in parallel as Bob mentioned will draw a lot of current. There is another option and that is drive series parallel chains with a constant current and cross connect the LEDs so if one LED goes OC then there is still a path for current through the other LEDs.
Adam

chiragjn

Feb 24, 2014
Thanks to all of you for suggestions
but i had very less time and many leds to assemble and very less space to connect resistors properly,
so i implemented my railway tracks circuit design and supplied 3V through AC to DC adaptor without any resistance and bam! it went well
here are some photos:

P.S
i used 3V 25mA white LEDs
the uneven glow among different leds is because some leds got bent and were not placed properly

Last edited: