Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Nodemcu

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
Hi all,
I started my project where I use a shift register to transfer data from the external circuit to the nodemcu. Since it is a 5-bit data, I use only 5 pins of the shift register and connected it to D2, D3, D5, D6, D7 GPIO pins of the Eps8266 board. The problem that I face is that the board fails to connect to Wi-Fi if I have any of the wires connected from the shift register to the board during start up. It connects only when I remove all the wires that goes from the shift register to the nodemcu module.
I am using 74HC595 as the shift register and 3.3v to power it. I don't have any other peripherals connected to the board. What could be the reason for this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The culprit is possibly D3.This pin has a special function during boot, see "Best Pins to Use – ESP8266". Use other pins instead, e.g. D1, D2, D5. D6, D7.

Why do you use the external shift register at all? You can directly read a serial data stream e.g. using the I²C interface of the nodemcu. Saves you the chip and a few pins.

Last edited:

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
The culprit is possibly D3.This pin has a special function during boot, see "Best Pins to Use – ESP8266". Use other pins instead, e.g. D1, D2, D5. D6, D7.

Why do you use the external shift register at all? You can directly read a serial data stream e.g. using the I²C interface of the nodemcu. Saves you the chip and a few pins.
Thanks for the reply.
The link was really informative. Thanks for sharing it.
Yes, I even tried out i2c at first ,as my communication is between msp432P401r launchpad and nodemcu. But I didn't get a proper communication between them. Since I was running out of time I used this to accomplish the communication. I will definitely figure that out.