Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with project on Augmented Reality thru Head-Up Display

HeadUpDisplay

Jan 26, 2012
Hi

I'm researching for a project that wil combine in a helmet, head-up display (on the helmet visor) with GPS, electronic compass and basic augmented reality software so that the wearer of the helmet can see through the visor, but can also see images projected onto 'reality' by the augmented software. the images would be positioned by the GPS and/or electronic compass so that the images remains in the same position no matter where the helmet wearer moves or turns.

Imagine it this way: Your wearing your augmented reality helmet and are walking down the street. You see the street through the clear visor of the helmet. Superimposed on the street scene is a big green arrow which has been produced by the software in the helmet system and projected onto the visor through the head-up display. The arrow appears real, but is just an image positioned on the street scene by the GPS/electronic compass. The arrow will always appear to be on the street corner, no matter where you move or which direction you look in.

The software for augmented reality is available, but it hasn't yet been combined with head-up-display and GPS positioning, that I am aware of.

My question is this: what is the easiest way to put these technologies together and where can I find manufacturers that produce these items?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you offer, even if it's just pointing me in the right direction to get more information.

Cheers
Si

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi headUp display and welcome to this forum!
OK, for this kind of application the GPS can, with a not that bad precision, locate you in a defined area (the street scene). To have visuals details in the helmet of what you are looking you must use accelerometer/gyroscope and magnetometers(compass) and/or eyes tracking solution.
It's imply heavy and fast calculation and everything will depend on the GPS precision, if he is few meters wrong you can look to the the wrong corner! Those technologies are used in aircraft pilot headset, but they are located via GPS on digitized map and not according to what the are viewing. To do that you probably need a software and a camera to "align" your position according to google street view. It's not a simple mixing project between augmented reality and GPS positionning :(
Olivier

Last edited:

HeadUpDisplay

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the reply, OLIVE2222, much appreciated!

From what you're saying, it seems like a complicated project. The 'scene' must be reality as seen by the eye with the digital image projected onto it (onto the helmet visor). And it must be reasonably precise - the image must be accurately places to within, say, 30cm or 12 inches of the GPS coordinates. And the whole lot needs to fit into a helmet (or at least be small enough that it can carried on the body in an unencumbered way !!! BIG order ! Do you think that it is possible to put all this together, with the size constraints, for a relatively inexpensive amount (say, under $1000 mass produced?). Thanks again for your advice.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi headUpDisplay

A welcome from me too

now as one who works with GPS daily, with the standard readily available GPS receivers, you are not going to get any better than 5 - 10 metres horizontal accuracy anyway (double that for vertical) , particularly if you are moving.

I work with Trimble GPS equip for the surveying and machine control industry in road construction and mining. The GPS gear to get better than 1metre accuracy is very expensive, $10,000 - $20,000 / unit depending on model.To get down to less than 20cm (0.02m) accuracy entails using roving and base station GPS receivers radio linked together. Then and only then can we get to 1cm (10mm) accuracy.

Honestly, you dont have a hope of accuracy under a metre with what is readily available to the public

cheers
Dave

HeadUpDisplay

Jan 26, 2012
Thank you, davenn. That's really good to know as it puts a big hole in my not-so-cunning plan. I can't compromise on the accuracy part, but there might be a work-around in your suggestion to use roving and base station GPS receivers. I only this level of accuracy in a 'box' around 1km in dimension, including the upwards dimension (altitude). In that 'box', I only need to fix 6-10 virtual points with this level of accuracy. Maybe there is a radio system that could be set up to give this accuracy? Thanks again for the previous advice.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are a number of "augmented reality" applications that are available on the iphone. Have you seen those?

Your absolute position may be less important than knowing the direction you're facing and your field of view.

The fact that the iphone doesn't need to do any eye tracking makes life easier too.

HeadUpDisplay

Jan 26, 2012
hey *steve*, I've been looking at those apps. They've really developed quite a lot. They are not quite suitable as they all use camera to provide the 'scene' then put the image over the top. I need to use reality as seen by the eye for the 'scene' (ie, looking straight through the helmet visor. Have you seen any that are like this?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's the same thing really, except you use a HUD for the augmentation.