Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with solid state relays

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
I'm attempting to make an ON-ON-ON switch with an ON-OFF-ON switch. I'm hacking together my own custom built joystick. I went to Fry's and picked up some nice toggle switches, unfortunately they're on-off-on switches. I need a way for power to flow when the switch is in the off position, and for power to not flow when the switches are in the on position. My idea is a relay that wouldn't allow power through when power is being applied to it and then let power through when when power wasn't going to it. This is what my basic electronics brain could come up with, if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
First part of your requirement contradicts the second part.(on-on-on with an on-off-on) changes to off-on-off with an on-off-on.
Care to have another try at explaining what you need, would be helpful.
If the latter then yes, just use a relay to change the logic.(or a transistor or a mosfet.......many to pick from)

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
My end goal is to have an on on on switch, anything else I say is void. And I'm a tech noob so. Lay-man's terms XD

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Braeden Hamson . . . . .

I went to Fry's and picked up some nice toggle switches,

Give us those Fry's part numbers so that we can then appropriately asssociate the mechanicl aspects and positioning of the switch to its electrical actions.

Semantically transitioning , I currently am perceiving of a three position toggle switch, with its handle flipped to its far left position it has a fixed detent position and is being ON.
Then the next detent is for the handle to be straight up and is being OFF.
Then the last detent position is for the handle to be to the far right and is being ON.
Then we only need to know the number of switch terminals across the bottom of the switch,
or are there being two rows of them.

O O O

O O O
O O O

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Sir Braeden Hamson . . . . .

I went to Fry's and picked up some nice toggle switches,

Give us those Fry's part numbers so that we can then appropriately asssociate the mechanicl aspects and positioning of the switch to its electrical actions.

Semantically transitioning , I currently am perceiving of a three position toggle switch, with its handle flipped to its far left position it has a fixed detent position and is being ON.
Then the next detent is for the handle to be straight up and is being OFF.
Then the last detent position is for the handle to be to the far right and is being ON.
Then we only need to know the number of switch terminals across the bottom of the switch,
or are there being two rows of them.

O O O

O O O
O O O

73's de Edd
You're correct in all counts except there are two rows of three on the bottom for a total of 6 terminals.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Bluejets, yes a twisted wire would result in an on on on switch :D

However, I'm looking to have three separate actions for each switch position. The joystick I'm building has 12 buttons, each is a circuit the switch can close two circuits but I need a way to close a third which will give me an on on on switch. These switches are also non momentary. These switches are already installed in my joystick so I don't really want to move them. I just figured there was an easy way to do this. Really what I think it boils down to is a relay that is closed when no power is going to it and open when power is going to it. But I may be totally wrong.

To get specific I play DCS A-10, in the game the plane has an autopilot switch with three modes, the modes are switched between with a three position toggle switch. It also has another three position switch called the boat switch.
(Any hog drivers out there?)

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
My end goal is to have an on on on switch, anything else I say is void. And I'm a tech noob so. Lay-man's terms XD

Lay-man and wrong-man are not the same thing. Think about it. A three-position switch that is on in all three positions (ON-ON-ON) is not a switch. There is no switching action, and there is no circuit change from one position to the next. You've said on-on-on twice, and it makes no more sense with repetition or capital letters. Please try again.

The relay you describe is a SPDT relay using the NC (normally closed) contact pair, also called a Form B relay.

ak

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I take a 3 posn ON-ON-ON switch to be a three position switch with 3 distinct switches at each position, which are quite common especially in the rotary variety.
It could also have a single common.
M.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Rotary switches are nice, but I do love my toggle switches, as they're what are used in aircraft most. I may have to give in and just order some online.

Last edited:

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Lay-man and wrong-man are not the same thing. Think about it. A three-position switch that is on in all three positions (ON-ON-ON) is not a switch. There is no switching action, and there is no circuit change from one position to the next. You've said on-on-on twice, and it makes no more sense with repetition or capital letters. Please try again.

The relay you describe is a SPDT relay using the NC (normally closed) contact pair, also called a Form B relay.

ak
What's that about form B relays, I think what you're describing is what I'm looking for. I looked into how to buy that stuff but most of the spec sheets are gibberish to me.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Thank you Analog Kid, you win the prize of finding exactly what I needed. A SPDT NC 5V relay.
Many thanks!