Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with something I cant find info on anywhere!

Johnny1984

Dec 16, 2020
Hi all,
I've been searching for videos, how-to information or just to buy what I would class as a simple yet cool device.

Ok so its already been invented but not in the way I'd like it to be.

So when I was a child I had a toy car that had a key fob. When I pressed the key fob the car would be alarmed and if moved the alarm would sound and the lights would flash.

I have recently purchased a 12 volt audi r8 ride on car for my son that comes with a key and I thought what better to add as a keyring than his very own key fob which would actually alarm his car with a tilt sensor.

I cannot find anything close to this online although I had that toy car many moons ago so I know the technology exists. Obviously I cant fit an actually car alarm that would deafen us all if it went off, not to mention the battery consumption too.

If there is someone that would be able to help me with this I'd be very grateful. Some sort of circuit running on maybe a 9v battery or the cars 12 volts with a small speaker emitting an alarm tone, tilt sensor and 4 leds attached that would flash as a car alarm would when activating it and when it alerts a motion being detected.

Am I thinking of something impossible here? Any thoughts guys?

I know little bits about electronics but be easy guys im talking bare minimum

Regards
Johnny.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Look at Arduino and sound generator (sd card)
Will be a steep learning curve but there is a large amount of helpful projects out there already.
May need to be modified to suit your particular need.

Below is an example, way more than you need but.....

Johnny1984

Dec 16, 2020
Wow this is a great reply thanks.
I was hoping that maybe someone would be up to building me this device for a price?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Have a look on EBay for 12v remote relay board.
These have remote fobs and 1 or more channels/relay outputs.
Then, your imagination can run wild.
Lots of boards/modules for sound and flashing lights etc.
Just have fun with your son building and wiring it.
Why not put a car CD player in too?. Headlights, brake lights, indicators etc etc. Maybe a 2nd 12v battery for these accessories?.

Martin

Johnny1984

Dec 16, 2020
Have a look on EBay for 12v remote relay board.
These have remote fobs and 1 or more channels/relay outputs.
Then, your imagination can run wild.
Lots of boards/modules for sound and flashing lights etc.
Just have fun with your son building and wiring it.
Why not put a car CD player in too?. Headlights, brake lights, indicators etc etc. Maybe a 2nd 12v battery for these accessories?.

Martin
I shall certainly look at this and see where it takes me however I'm in the building trade and its almost the other side of the coin for me

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I too am in the building trade. I do all trades but am a cabinet maker.
I have many hobbies and learning electronics is one of them.
The forum members here are great and will help you with any questions you have. It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve helped wire a battery car!.
In fact, the last was a John Deer tractor and trailer.

Martin

Johnny1984

Dec 16, 2020
I too am in the building trade. I do all trades but am a cabinet maker.
I have many hobbies and learning electronics is one of them.
The forum members here are great and will help you with any questions you have. It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve helped wire a battery car!.
In fact, the last was a John Deer tractor and trailer.

Martin
Sounds right up my street! Well I've looked into motorbike alarms and thought of attaching that as its 12v but use a resistor to quieten the 120db sound down.

It has leads that would usually connect to the indicators/signal lights so thinking i could connect these wires to 4 sets of 5 LEDs (1 for each light, 2 front and 2 back) so that they flash when arming, disarming and alerting.

Would this work do you think?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, that would work. But kind of over kill.
You really want something smaller and easier to play with first.
A battery operated shed alarm for example. It has a flashing light and siren. You could place a tilt switch or PIR in the battery path. Just an example of course.
OTOH, if you don’t want to experiment and play, use the bike alarm.

Martin

Johnny1984

Dec 16, 2020
Yes, that would work. But kind of over kill.
You really want something smaller and easier to play with first.
A battery operated shed alarm for example. It has a flashing light and siren. You could place a tilt switch or PIR in the battery path. Just an example of course.
OTOH, if you don’t want to experiment and play, use the bike alarm.

Martin
Well I've just received the delivery for the items,
May have a play around. I have resistors, 12v LEDs, Bike alarm and a soldering kit.

If this doesn't work then a shed alarm will be the way to go I think.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I like your style.
But if you have resistors, why the 12v LEDs?.
Just curious.

Martin

Johnny1984

Dec 16, 2020
I like your style.
But if you have resistors, why the 12v LEDs?.
Just curious.

Martin
From your experienced mind that would make sense however in my mind I just thought 12v input would mean an LED that has the capacity to withstand such voltage.

Bear in mind there were 20 LEDs altogether so I assume 12v divided by 20 would of been a lot less voltage so a resistor wasn't necessary.

As an update to all, I did purchase a motorcycle alarm and attached the LEDs and a variable resistor along the speak output wire.

It worked very well.

However....

My new issue which has arisen is the sheer lack of speed this toy has.
So.. I have been looking into replacing the 2 brushed 6000rpm motors with brushless motors.

I am aware that brushless motors require an esc so I am struggling on how this would work. The car doesn't run on a Lipo battery but 2 6v Lead Acid batteries. Would this still work a pair of brushless motors?

So from the batteries we have an rc switch controller and then this will run to the pedal control and lights, mp3 player etc and also allows the use of RC.. Last but not least it connects from the rc switch controller to the motors.. could I interrupt this connection to the esc's and then to the new brushless motors?

Also the Remote Control has 3 speed options so if I use these brushless motors via the esc's, will I still be able to use these speed options as I'd hate for the speed to be uncontrollable.

Please advise oh experienced ones!

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
Be very careful when modifying a riding toy. I did that once for my grandchildren and almost hurt them. As I recall, I augmented the battery voltage maybe by an additional 50%. It was a while ago so the exact details are fuzzy. Anyhow it worked great. Sure enough the car was faster and they loved it. Then one time my grandson leaned back slightly while accelerating and the car flipped backward and he hit his head on the ground. Thank god, he wasn't hurt although he was scared and crying. Boy did my heart sink.

The toy manufacturers spend a lot of time making toys safe and when you modify something you take a big risk that something unforeseen can happen. So my advice is don't change anything.