Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with sourcing a DC socket, a quick question>

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi All

I am trying to source a reliable DC socket and plug to use with a 29.4V charger, charging a battery at 2.5Amps.

I have sourced a Switchcraft socket and plug but find them very fiddly to use as they have a collar on the plug that needs to be screwed onto socket to fully insert.

I cant find anything else from RS or Farnell with suitable ratings, However I have found a Lumberg plug and socket rated to 10Amps at 20V. I know this works OK (as I have tried them in the circuit). However, I am concerned using this may effect the validity of the certificate of conformance for the end product.

Can anyone please shed some light on this. Will using the Lumberg plug and socket be OK. I am not an electronics expert only a dabbler, so any help appreciated.

Thank you

JPU

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Cirkit

Thank you for your reply. I had a look at those XLR plugs and sockets and I will get some ordered in to sample. Thank you for the links.

However, I think I should phrased my question slightly better (although I did need help sourcing an alternative!)

What I actually meant was, is it acceptable to use the socket from Lumberg rated at 20v 10amp in a circuit at 29.4V 2.5amp. Is this within its specification? It may be a silly question but forgive my limited electronic knowledge.

Thanks again in advance.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Is this within its specification?
Obviously not. The Lumberg socket is rated at 20 V and you're going to use it at an almost 50 % higher voltage.
You cannot trade current for voltage. The voltage rating includes insulating properties of the material and the construction (air gaps, creepages) which, when exceeded, may result in failure of the component.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
What I actually meant was, is it acceptable to use the socket from Lumberg rated at 20v 10amp in a circuit at 29.4V 2.5amp. Is this within its specification?

Obviously not. The Lumberg socket is rated at 20 V and you're going to use it at an almost 50 % higher voltage

but seriously, at these low voltages, that isn't likely to be an issue

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Use "speakon" connectors. There is 4 contact ones that can be used as redundant to increase current capability.

JPU

May 19, 2012
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice. I understand that at these voltages there is no issue. But I asked the question;

"However, I am concerned using this may effect the validity of the certificate of conformance for the end product."

So I guess Harold answered this? Or if I used the lumberg plug and socket, even though they are operating outside of their spec, is it the case that the Cert of Conformance still stands good?

Thanks

JPU

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
if I used the lumberg plug and socket, even though they are operating outside of their spec, is it the case that the Cert of Conformance still stands good?
It may depend on the type of certificate (conformance to which standards or regulations?).
In a quality product I'd never use a component out of spec.
UL for example is rather strict in demanding that you do not exceed a components specs.

If the volume is high enough, the manufacturer of that component may be willing to spec it to your requirements, then it's no longer your problem. I guess you're not in a position to make such a deal :(.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
RS lists these DC plugs suitable for at least 30 V / 3 A or more.
You can list components slected by rating by applying filters on the left side of the page.
Other vendors like farnell, mouser, digikey, to name but a few, allow similar searches.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am not an electronics expert only a dabbler, so any help appreciated.

"However, I am concerned using this may effect the validity of the certificate of conformance for the end product."

these two comments of yours are at odds .... are you building gear for sale that is going to have to pass inspection, when you are only a dabbler ??

if this is just a repair on a home product, conformance is almost irrelevant

You need to clarify the situation

Dave

JPU

May 19, 2012
Thanks for all your help and links. I now have the answer I needed. I was just a little confused on whether or not the fact that the current was so low against the Voltage that there may be a way around the current/voltage limits.
I ordered one of the plug and socket combinations Harold mentioned from RS (138-9382) just to compare to the Lumberg socket I had which although rated to 10Amp is only rated to 20V. The 10 amp plug is considerably more robust and the metal solder points inside the plug are 4 times "the man" that the 3A 30V plug has from RS. I find this odd and I assume there is some technical reason for the lower 20V limit or is there some other reason?

No matter, I have my answer to the original post and thank you.