Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with transformer for Lumenis Laser

Leggyownz

Feb 7, 2017
I have a transformer here I believe is malfunctioning. I wanted a second opinion and a second pair of eyes on this datasheet to make sure. The transformer is custom made but the company sent me the data sheet. a file has been uploaded of the datasheet. Values I found during inspection below.

leads at wht/blu and brown = 120v
leads at blue and wht/brn = 120v
leads at blk and red = 0v
leads at white and white = 19v
leads at yellow and orange = 0v
leads and gray and violet = 0v

With these numbers, I'm thinking the transformer needs replaced. Can someone verify or deny this theory with reasons as to why? The part that i'm unsure on is that white is a self-reset thermal switch and I'm unsure as to whether I should see 19v there. Other than that, I'm seeing voltage in but the outputs don't have anything coming out. Your responses are always much appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 81

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Is this a new transformer or one that has failed?
Do the windings have connections as shown on the data sheet or are the colours wrong?
Is the transformer energised properly? Put an iron screwdriver near the transformer. Does it vibrate?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Got a picture?

Are you measuring AC volts at the blk/red wires? Or have you got your meter on DC?

The white leads are a thermal cutout and it should read a short-circuit (on ohms or continuity ranges) but only test this with the power OFF.

Leggyownz

Feb 7, 2017
@Duke, this is on some equipment that is currently not working. Connections were as shown in data sheet.

@Kelly, Yeah I was checking a/c.

@both I figured out that I wasn't checking the voltages as I thought I was, the connections on the board that was checking the voltage at were not as I thought they were and therefore I was getting 120v because one coil was not energized and the other was. As it turns out blue and wht/brn are not getting any power. I've pulled the board and am currently looking through it. I'm about to test a relay that was on board that sends power to the wires.