Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with wire pinout CCTV observation camera

ERICC972

Jul 11, 2011
Hello everyone! I have a few PHILIPS observation cameras VC71775T but don´t have the Observation monitor to connect these cameras to, so i need help identifying the wires (ground, power, video signal and audio) in order to connect them to a dvr unit and an external power source.. any help is welcome and greatly apprecieted.. thank you!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
welcome to the forums :)

since we cant get any pics off the net, how about a pic from you of the connections to the camera ?

am suprised that the connections are not already clearly marked on the camera

cheers
Dave

ERICC972

Jul 11, 2011
thanks for your reply Dave, these are the pics.

The connector shown on the last pic is the original rj11 connector, i cut and stripped the wires to do the tests..

i tried several combinations but cannot get an image.. there is no color code in these wires since the red one is the only one i i was able to id and it is ground..

thank you again!!

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 3,413
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 3,614
  • rear view connector.jpg
    rear view connector.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 6,387

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Can you measure the resistance between all the wires and list them here? Why do you think red is ground?

Being that there are 4 wires, and each wire has the possibility of being only one of four signals, without repetition, there are 24 possible combinations:

Each number represents which wire number that signal is being carried on.

Code:
Power	Ground	Audio	Video
1	2	3	4
1	2	4	3
1	3	2	4
1	3	4	2
1	4	2	3
1	4	3	2
2	1	3	4
2	1	4	3
2	3	1	4
2	3	4	1
2	4	1	3
2	4	3	1
3	1	2	4
3	1	4	2
3	2	1	4
3	2	4	1
3	4	1	2
3	4	2	1
4	1	2	3
4	1	3	2
4	2	1	3
4	2	3	1
4	3	1	2
4	3	2	1

Is there any way for you to open the device up and maybe look at the circuit? Knowing which wires are power and ground will greatly reduce the number of test connections.

Also, are you sure the device you are connecting to can properly interpret and display the video coming from this device?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ok thanks,

thats kinda sux huh, most cams i have worked with have that sort of info on the back of them.

OK .... if it was my cam in the same situation I would be opening it up and identifying the positive and ground connections on the PCB that that socket connects to.

What is that hole/socket ?? to the left of the RJ socket ? is it actually a connector ?
maybe where the video out is located ?

Dave

ERICC972

Jul 11, 2011
Hello Dave, thank you for your reply... I did open the camera, but the pins are not marked inside on the PCB.. The hole on the back of the camera next to the rj11 connector is for the mounting bracket.. If you have any other suggestions i would very much like to hear them.. I appreciate your time..

ERICC972

Jul 11, 2011
Hello Timothy, thank you for your reply.. I assumed the red wire is ground because there is continuity between the metalic base where the lens is, the PCB´s ground area and the red wire..
As for the resistance between the wires, I placed the multimeter on 200k and the results were:
(positive lead on first color on list)
oange - green = nothing
orange - red = nothing
orange - black = 01.9
green - red = 82.8
green - black = nothing
red - black = 99.0
(negative lead on first color on list)
orange - green = nothing
orange - red =99.1
orange - black = 01.9
green - red = 65.3
green - black = nothing
red - black = nothing

As for the device that i want to connect the cameras to it is a regular analog DVR but i am testing them on a pelco CRT monitor with analog video input, i take it these cameras send an analog video signal as well considering they are a little old (manufactured 1999)
thanks alot for your time..
Eric

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello Dave, thank you for your reply... I did open the camera, but the pins are not marked inside on the PCB.. The hole on the back of the camera next to the rj11 connector is for the mounting bracket.. If you have any other suggestions i would very much like to hear them.. I appreciate your time..

I didnt really expect them to be labelled on the inside ... what I needed you to do was a bit of investigating of the connections to the PCB to determine where the 4 lines went.
ie. what the initial components they connected to were. that would help identify the + and - lines :)

do some sharp, clear closeup photos of both sides of the PCB around the area and surrounding components :)

ok on that other hole being for mounting. So with the 4 wires, once + and - are established then it should be easy to ID the video line. Assuming the camera isnt faulty, or you didnt accidently poke voltage up the video out line in your experiments and kill it ;)

Dave

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
The three holes to the left of the mounting bracket hole appear to be contacts for a SPDT switch to connect to an alarm circuit that will trip when motion is detected.

Also, ERICC972, could you get a sharp, clear, close-up view of the end of the connector that sticks inside the modular jack on the camera? That will allow us to trace the wires and figure out which is is which (or you can just tell us what the colors are, in order, from left to right, looking down on the connector with the front of the camera facing away from you.

Marcelo

Jul 24, 2011
I am in Brazil and had the same problem. I have 2 cameras of all possible connections and tried, without success. Even opening up nothing to indicate the position of the wires. I take pictures of the inside to see if I can help. Testing the multimeter, the video and audio connectors are also positive current. I'm using an RCA cable with RJ11 connector for power and using 12v. Thank you to those who can help.

paulrae

Aug 27, 2009
I have the same camera where I work.. The RJ11 is a 6 place 4 conducter connection (6P4C).
Pins 2 (-) and 3 (+) are the power supply, pins 3 and 4 are the video signal.
Use the pin number reference as some manufacturers use different colors.
My wire colors were pin: 1 no conn., 2 red, 3 black, 4 neutural, 5 blue, 6 no conn.
I had to replace the camera with a Bosch (formerly Phillips) but the wiring connections were the same.
My system does not have audio, if it did pins 1 and 6 would have been wired (RJ12)
Were you able to get the camera working?

Attachments

• RJ11.jpg
    RJ11.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 21,267

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Paulrae :)
welcome to the forums

tho its an old thread, thanks for the info some one may well find it useful one day.
it really needed some one like yourself that has one of these cameras in a working situation to be able to identify the connections

well done

cheers
Dave

Marcelo

Jul 24, 2011
Hi I have several cameras model VC 89 705 T Philips 4-pin RJ11 connector. The diagram of Paulrae was very helpful, but still does not work. I would be on pins 1-2 (negative / positive) and 2-3 (video)? And pin 4? It would be audio? If someone can help me I will be grateful.

Last edited:

Marcelo

Jul 24, 2011
Hello, I tried the above scheme, but burned two cameras. Very smell of burning. The connector looks like this: 4-pin RJ11, 1-2 positive-negative-3-4 video and audio. In RCA connector is the video and audio 2-3 2-4. But it did not work. This is the same pattern found on the internet and posted as a solution, but without success. I had 10 cameras, but apparently now only 8. But I will not give up. Funny thing is measuring with multimeter the 4 pins on the card from the camera, it seems that all are interconnected, it has a chain for all. I eh! I appreciate any new suggestions. Hugs.