Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help

Fosters

Aug 22, 2013
Hi there,

Does anyone know what this fuse / icp is ? It is the one marked with an 'A'
It is used as part of a new component detection circuit on a printer and it blows within 1/2 second of installing the new component. I want to be able to put a new fuse in place so I can get a second life out of my printer part. Trying to save money !!!

Any help will be very appreciated,

Thanks

Attachments

• Fuse.jpg
    Fuse.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 198

Fosters

Aug 22, 2013
Can anyone help me to identify the above component and rating ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It could be a fuseable resistor.

You need to carefully measure the characteristics of it before it is "blown".

What does it look like afterwards?

Fosters

Aug 22, 2013
Hi *Steve*
When it is blown it goes open circuit, I it designed to blow in about 40 to 60ms and looks like a inrush ICP.
When it is new it measures 99ohms and the circuit runs at 3.3vdc
Basically I am looking at building some kind of trip switch that can operate within the time frame and trip.
Any ideas or suggestions would be of a massive help.

Regards

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
This may already be obvious, but are you doing something to ensure that the circuit current flowing through device 'A', is not going to just keep blowing it every time you install one?

Fosters

Aug 22, 2013
Hi shrtrnd
Thanks for the question, the ICP/Fuse/SMD device is part of a new detection circuit that when a cartridge is fitted to a device it blows the component marked (A) and the machine then understands the cartridge is new. However the cartridges can be refilled with toner and I am looking for a way to fool the machine to thinking the cartridge is new again.

Best Regards

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Oh! The manufacturer has probably installed a proprietary part to 'guarantee' the authenticity of their own product.
Somebody with more information about what manufacturers do to try to protect their compay-private property is probably going to have to try to answer this one.
It sounds like this device is specifically made to prevent identification by outsiders.

Fosters

Aug 22, 2013
To recycle and refill toner is cheap, good for the enviroment and has been done for years. I can use a manual switch to do the job but would prefer to have a automated switch that can react very quickly. I have tried polyswitches but no good so any help would be welcomed.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, possibly you need a circuit that is normally open, but if you hold a button down it allows current to pass until it rises above some amount and then switches off (and stays off)

The easiest way might be with a small microcontroller.

You can tie an input and an output together. when activated the output could be set to a low logic level allowing it to sink current. When the current through the output is sufficient to pull the output up to the input high threshold the microcontroller could change the output to a high impedance state. Another input could be used to initiate the cycle. If it is powered up with the switch closed, it does this, otherwise it just stays high impedance. To reduce the current required to "trip" the unit, a resistor between the output and the input could be used (the signal is connected to the input).