Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hi there

Fred B

Jul 2, 2012
Hi,

My name is Fred and I am writing a blog about vacuum tube theory and circuits with regard to guitar amps and related electronics. I was wondering if anyone here would like to have a look at it. I have the first four posts up, covering what is a triode, what is a basic gain stage, and basic frequency response shaping.

Comments from beginners and experts alike would be most welcome. I want to make this blog an easy way to learn a lot of stuff, and any feedback to that end would be most helpful.

Fred's Vacuum Tube Amp Blog

Best regards,

Fred B

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Fred, I've moved your thread to the introductions area where you get one free gratuitous post of your site.

Welcome to Electronics point.

You're obviously interested in valves. What's your background?

Fred B

Jul 2, 2012
Well, I've been studying and build amps and related stuff for some years now. I had some electronics experience before that with audio amps and power supplies, along with some HV energy devices.

I have been chatting about all the amp stuff for years mostly on the AX84 site, and occasionally on the Music Electronics Forum site. From all my studying and discussing I decided to write an organized compilation of what I know for two reasons, one just to go through the process of explaining everything in an orderly and comprehensive way to discover my own deficiencies in knowledge. By explaining what you think you know, you find out rather quickly what you actually know, and having one's errs pointed out by the more experienced of course helps.

Second and ultimately, I plan to publish the entire blog when it's sufficiently complete as a book on tube amps in a PDF format that will be made available without charge, although I will mention that a $3 gratuity would be appreciated from those who find the information useful. I will also send the compilation available at a print on demand place. where I'll just charge $3 over printing costs for a neatly printed and bound copy of it. That should set the price plus shipping somewere around $25-$30. Ordinarily, I would avoid such talk of business, although you asked.

I had been thinking about expanding my horizons and checking in here to follow your vacuum tube discussions, and throw in a link to one of my blog posts as appropriate, because they can be a time saving way to present the basics of one thing or another to a beginner, as well as attract the scrutiny of those who know more thsn I and are willing to enlighten me about that.

Best regards,

Fred B

Last edited: