Maker Pro
Maker Pro

High power nema 11 stepper motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somania

Aug 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a high power stepper motor for a project where I'm trying to minimize the size of the device. In essence, the Nema size of the stepper directly dictates how shallow I will be able to design the device (the length of the motor doesn't really matter, also the price is secondary). Now the stepper should produce a holding torque of at least 0.27 Nm (=38 oz-in) and keep that torque up fairly well to around 400 RPM. The best I could find with these prerequisites was a Nema 14 stepper from omc-stepperonline.com:
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/h...-15a-42v-35x35x52mm-4-wires-14hs20-1504s.html
However, I would like to be able to reduce the size even further than the 35 mm given by this motor. Any advice on where I could find small but high-power steppers, maybe a Nema 11 with similar power? Or any other ideas for alternatives?

This is my first post on electronicspoint so I'm looking forward to start interacting with you guys :)

Cheers
Somania

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The best I've seen for NMEA 11 is as low as 0.1Nm - unless anyone can do better?

Have you considered usiing a different type of drive motor with shaft encoder? servo motor-style?

Somania

Aug 23, 2017
Yes, the highest holding torque I've found for Nema 11 was 0.12 Nm...

Regarding the servo - I haven't considered that, thank you for the idea! I'll check if I can find a motor-encoder combination that fits my restrictions on the size.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You can certainly get high speed motors with significant gearbox reduction to give the torque needed - there are many suppliers that offer encoder add-ons as extra too although it's simple enough to put your own on.

Status
Not open for further replies.