Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hit Sensor

Fredd3039

Oct 31, 2022
Greetings,
I am in need of a hit/impact type sensor to go on a stationary target. The target will either be plastic or a thin metal like a cookie sheet. Basically we have a shoothouse where we use airsoft guns for live fire training and we need a way to mark the targets once they have been hit. It is a bit more detailed than this but in the interest of brevity I am just giving a basic outline. If anyone is interested we are willing to pay for your time. You can PM us if you are interested and would like to know more.
Thanks.
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
One would think of using an accelerometer for that application, and
a small processor to measure the hit magnitude, impact energy, and
width in time to eliminate false hits. Like air current, or removing the target.....

When you get a hit what do you want to do with that in terms of
signal, light a LED, emit sound, pour a drink........release the Kraken.....

Regards, Dana.

Fredd3039

Oct 31, 2022
I suppose the LED would be the best way to go. Audible would have to be very loud due to the shooting noise. Ultimately we would like for the unit to be battery powered, instead of hard wired and if possible be able to reset the target with a simple momentary button push or a wireless signal of some kind. If you are interested in learning more or you would like to sign on as our designer, let me know. We have tons of stuff that we are working on to animate and automate our shoothouse.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Just some guidance :

1) Local to you must be some consultants that would tackle this.
2) ESP8266 would be a suitable low cost easy to design for a wireless solution.
One at target, one at shooters position. Also use of this part would be easy to
enhance at a later time with more measurements as your tech demands expand.
Example for shooter experimentation in load, type of powder, measure energy
of hit.
3) Battery operation fine. Software would put it to sleep and then awaken on impact.
4) LED would have to be bright, pulsed for a short time, to preserve battery and maximize
its lifetime.
5) If you are well lit at range think possible rechargeable battery with a small solar cell at
target end to provide low battery changeout. Eg. pursue maintenance free.
6) At shooter end could pulse a piezo buzzer to emit a short sound. One with high pitch
to hear above background noise.
7) You could make a mesh network with all the ESP8266's and monitor their state, battery
health, hit effectiveness, problems with a PC interface, all wireless....just a thought. Thats
accomplished in software.

Regards, Dana.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
I would do it this way.
- 25 cent electret mic to pullup (R determines gain (330 to < 3k3) to Vbat (3.6 Lipo or Li Ion)
- diode peak and slow decay RC. to CMOS inverter to R+ LED and/or piezo buzzer
- This will flash LED once for the duration of RC time value e.g. 250+ ms but very bright using 10,000 + mcd white from great distance.
- component cost: very cheap $1
- sensitivity: extremely high, may need to be muted.
- power: extremely low and runs 4.2 to 3V. piezo will draw less power than LED but not easily tuned for unique tone pitch unless add more parts.
- simple, no PCB needed just magnet or wirewrap wire soldered to perf board. unless you need lots.

If you wanted data collected and counting, that would be a lot bigger deal with a mesh wireless network and sensors on shooters and all targets.

Boom,
Tony

Last edited: