Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hitachi tv convergence issues

Rabbit

Aug 5, 2013
I have recently received a Hitachi 50ex10ba tv that has a problem with the colors. the center of the screen looks fine but the the colors aren't aligned. From what I have been able to find online elsewhere it sound like its the convergence chip but was hoping to get a better opinion. Is there any tests i can perform instead of swapping parts and crossing my fingers?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
There is no convergence "chip".

Modern CRTs are "preconverged"; the convergence is controlled by ring magnets around the neck of the tube which are set at the factory.

If convergence, and especially colour purity, are badly out, I would suspect a loose shadowmask. Shake the tube and see whether the colours change.

It's also possible that the tube metalwork has become highly magnetised; try to borrow a large degaussing wand and remove the residual magnetism with that.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
A auick Google search tells me your failure is THE most common one with your set.
There are plenty of places that sell a kit specifically for your repair (on-line).
The only other suggestion I found, was to try to adjust using your menu, but it does
sound like if you want to repair your set, you're going to need to buy one of the many
repair kits (with directions) available on-line.
good luck

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Oops... looks like it's time to eat my words. Munch crunch... tasty... munch munch

olivecooper

Aug 8, 2013
Well i have experienced the same problem with my Hitachi and than had t suffer it for a long time before getting it fixed from the service people of the company. I think you need to do the same get help from them and also try to adjust from the menu first.

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
The most common problem with (what looks like a convergence problem) is the demodulator modules. They are large multi pin chips mounted on a big heatsink and there are usually 2 of these that cover the 3 colors. Along with these are several low value resistors that usually open when these demodulators go bad. Replace them all.
Ed.