Maker Pro
Maker Pro

holder glues on cheap boards

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I have seen a lot of pucky on boards, and I also have removed some things I thought were melted holders or clamps or supports that I thought got hot. I fixed my battery issue on my SD-1 Synth and put a battery holder on it so I don't have to do any soldering when I change the battery. The main board had the connecting copper layer peeled off before the diode between the + battery and the diode from amature soldering techniques...;) So I bent the + through the hole pin, of the battery holder outward, to reach the diode, effectively bypassing the bad part of the board. I also had to jumper the ground side of the new battery holder becauseof the same kind of problem, but I used the hole for a stabilizer on the battery holder mount.
"Now I'm not knocking engineering, but how many times have I told you guys about using the contacts as mounts?"
This problem, on this device, is the ultimate conclusion of this ignorance! What I want to know is what kind of glue I should use to permanently mount the battery holder on the board, just in case this problem comes back in the future!!!??? :confused: (I found a tube of adhesive from the 60's called "Liquid Nails" on a back shelf in the shop and so far I am thinking -> 'no heat, drys over 24hrs, causes cancer, has emergency number for inhalation on tube, needs kneeding to soften product, and holds battery mounts securely on broken sythesizers.) And It doesn't require a sign that says...."CAUTION - WE USE LIQUID NAILS HERE, THAT IS KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER IN CALIFORNIA IF ITS INHALED".(NOTE - contains Crystalline Silica) :)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I found a tube of adhesive from the 60's called "Liquid Nails"

(my bold)

??? Not a good idea. Modern equivalents are far more friendly and safe. Cyanacrolate (super glue) mixed with corn starch makes a superb and solid adhesive - check out youtube for the many examples of its use.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Those silicones attract static electricity... I was shocked numerous times when I was caulking in Alaska. I didn't figure out shat it was until many years later. I don't really think silicone is a good idea either.... (I was born in California, cyanongens cause cancer...) what about JB weld for plastics.? or Wax? a hard wax might work better.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Use aquatic silicone. Never heard of static in caulk or silicone let alone a shock!.
Are you sure it wasn’t static on metal frames or similar? Could have been a very dry humid day and you were on metal step ladders?.

Martin

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Now all I have to do is learn to play like Liberace.
I can help you there, but first I need to find where Middle C is . . . . I do have a copy of his Autobiography though ISBN 0 352 30010 8 - paperback Star Books. Michael