Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Home brewing fermentation monitoring

Genious

Feb 8, 2023
Hello all!
Over the years I’ve done a few arduino and Raspberry Pi projects, but these we’re usually projects where I could follow where others have gone before. Right now I’m working on how to make a digital counter to monitor how often a bubble of gas gets released through the air lock on my fermenters. I would like it to log the rate of the releases, but am more interested in it simply signaling when the bubbles have stopped for a defined time period, probably 12 to 24 hours.
Any suggestions as to what platform, and sensors would work the simplest is what I’m looking for. I also don’t know what sensors would be easiest. The bubbles make a sound, but there is also motion of the liquid inside the airlock.

Any thoughts will help me get moving down the path.

Jim

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You could use a small button magnet attached to the float, (what kind do you have)?
A Honeywell S4xx sensor would detect the movement.
One problem may be if there is significant evaporation of the air lock liquid.
Another issue there is if the float happens to rotate!

Genious

Feb 8, 2023
I have the dual chamber type fermentation lock, but I’m not opposed to using another type of lock.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
One way around getting over the possible rotation of the air lifted float type, would be to place the button magnet on the top of the float, and use the S4xx sensor on the lid cover.
You can get really small button mag.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Time of flight sensor positioned at the top of the container should detect the movement.
One of those "suck it and see" situations.
Sensors and clone Arduino relatively cheap.

HarryA

Jan 22, 2017
Back in the old days when folks made beer in crocks they would hold a burning match over the surface of the beer. If the match went out the beer was still brewing. Thus producing carbon dioxide. There are carbon dioxide sensors for the Arduino.

Genious

Feb 8, 2023
Back in the old days when folks made beer in crocks they would hold a burning match over the surface of the beer. If the match went out the beer was still brewing. Thus producing carbon dioxide. There are carbon dioxide sensors for the Arduino.
Unfortunately, the carbon dioxide will still be covering the must even after fermentation has ceased. I’m hoping to catch the process a little before the fermentation has ended so that I can rack it into the secondary container. This way fermentation will continue and force oxygen out of the secondary container helping to keep oxygen from causing problems with the process.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Normally things don't happen that fast when brewing, I brew both beer & wine and usually take a SG reading & and a visual check to gauge when to rack.
It's not that a precise science.

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
Hello all!
Over the years I’ve done a few arduino and Raspberry Pi projects, but these we’re usually projects where I could follow where others have gone before. Right now I’m working on how to make a digital counter to monitor how often a bubble of gas gets released through the air lock on my fermenters. I would like it to log the rate of the releases, but am more interested in it simply signaling when the bubbles have stopped for a defined time period, probably 12 to 24 hours.
Any suggestions as to what platform, and sensors would work the simplest is what I’m looking for. I also don’t know what sensors would be easiest. The bubbles make a sound, but there is also motion of the liquid inside the airlock.

Any thoughts will help me get moving down the path.

Jim
For sensing the bubbles, you can use a microphone to detect the sound of the bubbles and a tilt switch to detect the motion of the liquid.

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
Here is also an interesting project. This is not what you're doing. But it can give you some more ideas. It's a tea bag timer: